May 19, 2013

Cold German potato salad


I remember eating German potato salad at family and other picnics as a kid and not being a big fan. I'm pretty sure that most of it came from a can and I remember it being very sour tasting. There's a hot and a cold potato salad recipe in The German Cookbook that I've been waiting to try. This is the cold version and it's reminiscent of the potato salad I remember, but better. I am a big fan of potatoes and vinegar together, so I was fairly confident that I'd enjoy the homemade version and I was correct. The salad would be perfect for all the upcoming summer picnics because it lacks dairy and gets better the longer the potatoes soak in the vinegar and other flavors. This recipe will serve about four people as a side dish, but you can easily double or triple it for a larger crowd. Hopefully you can find some good sweet German mustard in your grocery store or specialty foods shop. We buy it at Spar's European Sausage Shop (which, by the way, is an excellent place to pick up something to go with this salad).


Cold German potato salad
6 white (or other waxy) potatoes
sea salt
about 1/3 cup minced sweet white onion
1 cup beef broth
4 tablespoons white vinegar
2-3 teaspoons sweet German (Bavarian) mustard (or other grainy mustard)
2 tablespoons minced chives
fresh cracked black pepper, to taste  

Boil the potatoes whole and unpeeled in salted water until you can pierce them with a fork. Be careful not to overcook. Drain and let them cool slightly. Peel white still hot, thinly slice, and place in a medium bowl along with the onions. 

Heat the beef broth, vinegar, and a pinch of salt until it comes to a boil. Then pour over the potatoes and stir. Refrigerate 30-60 minutes.

Drain the potatoes and return them to the bowl. Stir in the mustard, chives, and season with pepper (and more salt, if needed). Serve cold or room temperature. 


What was I cooking one year ago? spiced rhubarb cake

18 comments:

  1. This sounds great to me! I actually don't love mayonnaise, so I rarely eat potato salad, but when I have a mayo-free version, I tend to love it. I know i'd love your version here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is how I like potato salad because I HATE mayonnaise. My mother, of course, only makes the mayonnaise-based kind. Yours looks way better (don't tell!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised to see how many people are saying they don't like mayo! I actually love mayo -- but not on everything, which can be very common at summer picnics!

      Delete
  3. I always wanted to try this! Vinegar and potatoes are best friends and I love that you don't have to worry about it spoiling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. vinegar and grainy mustard?! i am in :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a great alternative to the mayonnaise one I am used to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love potato salad in all kinds. This seems light and perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer mayonnaise free potato salad. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your recipe sounds great because usually potato salad is loaded with mayo or oil.
    This is a lighter and very tasty version, ideal for summer. I'm on board with this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. now this is a potato salad i can get behind!! sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this version of potato salad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE vinegar and potatoes (think salt and vinegar potato chips) so I have a good feeling I'd love this! Thank you for sharing! I'm eager to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Given my utter disdain for mayo...I'm loving this version of potato salad!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never had the German kind, only the American kind loooaded with mayo, haha! This looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the combination of flavors in this salad!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i avoided potato salad like the plague for the longest time because i just don't like mayo, but then i had something very similar to this and fell in love!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You had me at potato :) Would it be really different if I used veggie stock? Maybe I could use vegetarian beef stock!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!