October 10, 2013

Cabbage roll soup


Galumpkis (cabbage rolls) are a favorite meal of ours; however, they can be time consuming to make on a weeknight. I saw this sauerkraut cabbage roll soup and was inspired to create a soup version of our classic family dish. As you've already seen, I've been canning and preserving a lot this year. This has provided me with an abundance of diced and crushed tomatoes - so I already had those on hand. I've made a couple small batches of sauerkraut, had some cabbage in the fridge, and ground beef in the freezer (from our 1/4 grass-fed organic cow we ordered this year). I've been making broths as well. I'm really trying my hardest to cut our food costs while ensuring that we are still eating healthfully, seasonally, organic, etc. as much as possible. Since we are in the harvest season, this is the easiest time of year to do that and that's why I'm canning, freezing, etc. more than before. This soup is a great example of a relatively easy and inexpensive dinner that utilized ingredients that were already in my home. This recipe will make about four to five main dish servings of soup. 

  
Cabbage roll soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 teaspoons paprika (I used Hungarian which is medium in heat, feel free to use sweet or hot)
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
a few grinds of freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
4 cups beef broth
1 16 oz. jar (or can) of diced tomatoes
1 packed cup shredded green cabbage
1 packed cup sauerkraut, undrained
1/2 cup white rice (I used medium grain)

In a soup/stock pot, heat the olive oil and then add the ground beef. Cook, breaking up with a wodden spoon until it is browned and cooked through. Drain excess fat, if needed. Add the onion, garlic, paprika, caraway, pepper, and salt. Stir and cook until the onion is soft and translucent. 

Add the beef broth and stir well to deglaze the pot. Add the tomatoes. Bring the soup up to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Add the cabbage and sauerkraut and bring back to a simmer. Stir well and cook until the cabbage is soft, about 5 minutes.

Add the rice and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice is just cooked through, about 8-10 minutes (depending on your rice). Ladle into bowls and serve immediately.



What was I cooking one year ago?: chocolate chip pumpkin blondies 
Two years ago?: chipotle sweet potato soup 
Three?: shiitake mushroom and barley soup

21 comments:

  1. Oh, I love cabbage rolls but I've never thought of making a soup version. This looks SO wonderful - delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caraway seeds, sauerkraut, tomatoes and garlic all in one soup? Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want this right now! I love cabbage rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea Amy, a deconstructed cabbage roll...I will have to try this as the weather starts to get cold and we love soup.
    Thanks for the inspiration and hope you are enjoying your week :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes! This looks like comfort food at it's finest!!! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow love this used to make cabbage rolls with Serbian friends fun to have as a soup

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got loads of cans of tomato and I'd love to try this as well! It looks so delicious and comforting :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This cabbage soup with tomato looks right up my alley. Totally delicious and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a comforting soup for a fall evening. I love cabbage and caraway seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome idea! I am for sure going to make a batch soon...my soul needs it. It told me so ;).

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is nothing like a delightful bowl of soup with lots of veggies to warm you up in the fall months. Have a super weekend. BAM

    ReplyDelete
  12. You really got all the classic cabbage roll flavors in here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a comforting soup! Love cabbage soup, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This reminds me that I used to make an unstuffed cabbage roll that was really good. I'm going to have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a creative soup! Love the idea, and the recipe looks excellent. Good stuff - thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this soup version of cabbage rolls! I bet all your homemade ingredients made it extra good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a great idea! in this case, i think i could tolerate some sauerkraut! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love cabbage rolls, but I think I'd like this soup even better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a wonderful use of caraway seeds that I have (and rarely use). Very hearty and delicious soup, Amy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just made some...is adding sauerkraut a Serbian thing, or Polish, or Russian??? I love it both ways!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure... I just like the vinegary tang it adds! :-) Thanks!

      Delete

I love to hear from you!