Friday, October 4, 2013

Hot and spicy refrigerator turnip pickles


Is it obvious yet that I am really enjoying canning, pickling, and all sorts of preserving this year? My husband and I dream of having a little self-sufficient green home and farm someday, so I've been practicing my homesteading skills. Plus, we are trying to save money and eat as local as possible, so when we get a bunch of free produce from our family's garden, or score a good deal at the farmers' market, I want to find a way to make it last and not go to waste. I had seen this recipe for quick turnip pickles a while back and when we got a big bag of turnips recently, I decided it was time to try pickling them. I only discovered turnips a few years ago, and now I love them. Since they have a bit of a bite, I thought that using some fresh jalapenos and increasing the Indian spices in them would be a good experiment. I was right. These pickles are spicy and a bit hot, but not over-the-top hot. They would be a great addition to any Indian dish or part of a relish tray (I like to just grab one out of the fridge every once in a while - but, be careful, they are full of turmeric and will stain!). This recipe will make one quart jar of pickles.




Hot and spicy refrigerator turnip pickles
3/4 cup white vinegar
2 cups filtered water
1 or 2 jalapenos, seeded and thinly sliced (use one for less heat, two for more)
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1-1/2 tablespoons sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1-1/2 lbs. unpeeled turnips, well-scrubbed, quartered, and sliced into 1/4-inch slices

Add all of the ingredients except the turnips to a large pot. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, and bring to a boil. Add the turnips and return to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the turnips are just fork-tender, about 7-8 minutes.

Remove the pot from heat and let cool. Ladle everything into a quart jar or other glass container (remember -- they will stain!). Place in the refrigerator and let cure at least 24 hours before eating.


What was I cooking one year ago?: creamed collard greens with crispy shallots
Two years ago?: curried butternut squash and yellow pea soup
Three?: Pork and pepper goulash

10 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, your turnip pickles look refreshing and appetizing. Thanks for sharing your interesting recipe.

    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like fridge pickles. This looks very appetizing, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had pickled turnips, but really like the idea. And these are so easy! Definitely something I should try. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have definitely never seen pickled turnips before! Super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes me want to grow turnips! These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The serie of posts about different pickles is a great idea, Amy!
    Love the combination of spices in this spicy and hot turnip pickles.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!