Thursday, November 7, 2013

Chinese five-spice pork over spaghetti squash


So I have this bottle of Chinese five-spice that has been lurking around my spice rack since I bought it to make this super delicious recipe. Recently, I started using it in oatmeal with apples and love it. I've been trying to come up with more ways to use this delicious spice blend. I decided to try it out with another pork recipe. We have a ton of spaghetti squash to use, so I thought the pork and spaghetti squash would be an interesting pairing along with the spices of cinnamon, star anise, anise seed, ginger, and clove - plus very seasonal. The flavor profile of this dish turned out great. My only complaint was the texture -- the pork came out too much like the spaghetti squash. The next time, I think I would cube the pork and then stir fry it like in the recipe I referenced earlier. This way it would be chunky and have some crispness to it. Either way, it was delicious and is another dish that is making me enjoy spaghetti squash a bit more... This recipe will serve about four people.

Chinese five-spice pork over spaghetti squash
one boneless pork roast, about 1-1.25 lbs.
2-1/2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, sliced
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
about 2 cups chicken broth (just enough to almost cover the pork)
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
1 medium spaghetti squash
1/2 cup minced cilantro
plain yogurt, for serving, optional
chili-garlic sauce, for serving  

Place the pork in a slow cooker along with the spice powder, garlic, onion, salt, and chicken broth. Cook on low for about 6-7 hours. Whisk in the arrowroot powder, shred the pork, stir in the lemon juice, and turn the slow cooker up to high to allow the sauce to thicken.

While the pork finishes, cook the squash. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet cut side down. Bake until you can pierce the skin with a fork, about 30 minutes.  Remove from the oven and let cool slightly (so you can hold it).

Once you can hold the squash, scrape out the flesh using a fork. Place some spaghetti squash in the bottom of each bowl. By this time the pork juices should be slightly thickened. Taste the pork and adjust seasonings, if needed. Top the squash with some pork and sauce. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with the yogurt (if using) and chili-garlic sauce (you will want this - it needs a kick).


I'm linking this post the the 12 Weeks of Winter Squash event hosted by Heather of girlichef and Joanne of Eats Well With Others

What was I cooking one year ago?: pumpkin pie ice cream
Two years ago?: coconut and lime poached white fish with baby bok choy
Three?: pumpkin-corn muffins

16 comments:

  1. I love 5-spice, but yeah...don't use it all that often. I like that you use it with apples (I used in apple cider caramels recently - so good). This dish sounds so good...that pork against the spaghetti squash - awesome combo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five spice just feels like a fall flavor to me! What a great meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a perfect Fall time meal to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just used spaghetti squash last week in lieu of spaghetti in a dish...it's a great alternative to pasta and SO good! I love 5 spice too but rarely use it; I'll have to follow some of your suggestions; thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this reminds me that I really need to make spaghetti squash at least once before it goes out of season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that you served your pork with spaghetti squash! I never thought to add 5 spice to oatmeal. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pork and five spice are meant to be together - such a great pairing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the idea of cubed pork, too, but either way sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 5 spice pork sounds delicious! Squash spaghetti is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just bought a largish jar of 5-spice and wondering how I'll use it all before it poops out. This is a good start!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a unique dish! I love it. Great use of 5-spice too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My kind of dish right here!! Love the use of the 5 spice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks absolutely delicious, and so original! i loooove spaghetti squash :) great post!
    the hobbit kitchen x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never thought to do spaghetti squash with an Asian dish. Neat flavor twist!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love 5-spice powder, but I must admit it's not something I use all that often. This is great! Love the idea of this - thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!