Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Persimmon cranberry sauce


It seems like almost every year I come up with a new way to make cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving. Whether it's using clementines and ginger or oranges, the cranberries that come to our table are different almost each year. This year I decided to incorporate persimmon, specifically the fuyu persimmon. Persimmons are an underutilized fruit, in my opinion. They are in season this time of year and can be found in many grocery stores. There are some varieties that are native to North America and they grown here as well. Persimmons are a lovely burnt orange color when ripe and are very sweet and delicious. Since they are so sweet, they provide a nice counter-balance in flavor to the tart cranberries. 

This recipe is a cinch to throw together, as are most fresh cranberry sauces. I hope that you will consider making a fresh cranberry sauce this year if you don't already. This would also make a great addition to upcoming holiday dinners and would pair nicely with many roasted meats.  


Persimmon cranberry sauce
1 bag (12 oz.) fresh cranberries, rinsed 
1/3 cup water
4-5 tablespoons honey
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
1 star anise
1 ripe fuyu persimmon, peeled and diced

In a medium saucepan, combine the cranberries, water, honey (start with 4 tablespoons), cinnamon, and star anise. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until most of the cranberries pop, about 15 minutes. Taste and add more honey (or a bit of granulated sugar), if needed. Remove from the heat, take out the spices, and stir in the persimmon.

Let cool and serve at room temperature or cold. Store in the refrigerator.


What was I cooking one year ago?: old-fashioned pumpkin pie
Two years ago?: slow cooker chili macaroni
Three?: creamy cauliflower soup

17 comments:

  1. I love cranberry sauce but have never made it with persimmons. Love the idea! Great pairing of flavors. Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, persimmons! My other half is a huge fan, I bet he would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious idea to add persimmons to cranberry sauce! A nice change-up from the norm. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love both fruits. The sauce must be divine, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the addition of persimmons in the sauce... love the idea !!
    Happy thanksgiving !

    ReplyDelete
  6. We both love the sauce...this sounds great Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always make the same cranberry sauce on turkey day itself, but love experimenting with new versions at home. Have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this sounds delicious. Love the addition of persimmon - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Believe it or not, I've never had persimmon but I do like trying new cranberry sauce recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful looking new variation of Cranberries sauce. This one will grace our Table soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a perfect sauce for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bought a double batch of fresh cranberries this year just so I could try another recipe. So I have the cranberries and also the persimmons! Great recipe. Definitely will be giving it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. persimmon and cranberries sound great together in this sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh now this sounds like a yummy cranberry sauce, I love making different sauces so I must try this one next time I make some.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooo this looks good!! Never made cranberry sauce before but might give it a go for the Christmas turkey :-) Keep seeing persimmons everywhere and wondering what to do with them!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!