Monday, December 23, 2013

Fresh cranberry and white chocolate brown butter cookies


I had a bag of fresh cranberries sitting in my fridge that I really wanted to use to make a Christmas cookie. I also really wanted to pair them with white chocolate - not only because it's a tasty combination, but also because of the red and white colors. I found this recipe that used dried cranberries and I was sold as soon as I saw the words "brown butter." Brown butter is a magical thing that immediately lifts any recipe to a higher level. The butter gets so nutty and has a wonderful aroma - it's really perfect for the holidays. I also wanted to use some ginger in this cookie to make it even more festive (plus I love cranberries and ginger together). The result is a delicious cookie that is chewy and nutty with a hint of warmth followed by creamy chunks of white chocolate and tart pops of cranberries. Below is my slightly adapted recipe that I also halved because I was making so many other cookies! This recipe will make about 26-28 cookies.


I think this will be my last post until after Christmas. I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season full of happiness and great food!


Fresh cranberry and white chocolate brown butter cookies
1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
scant 1/4 cup granulated cane sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, preferably unbleached
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup roughly chopped fresh cranberries
3/4 cup chopped white chocolate

First brown the butter (you can do this the day before, if desired). Put the butter in a small skillet and warm over medium heat. Stir often, watching very carefully, until the milk solids in the butter are golden and the butter smells nutty -- this will happen all of a sudden and once it does, remove from the heat immediately so it doesn't burn. Transfer the butter to a bowl and refrigerate until solid, but still soft. 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Then beat in the egg and vanilla. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour through cinnamon. 

Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture until just combined. Fold in the cranberries and white chocolate.

Roll the dough about 1 tablespoon at a time (making sure to get some cranberries and white chocolate in each). Place on the baking sheet and gently press to flatten slightly. Place cookies about 1-inch apart.

Bake for about 7-9 minutes, until the bottoms and edges are golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container.


What was I cooking one year ago?: chocolate-ginger cookies
Two years ago?: sugar plums
Three?: cranberry-walnut bread
4?: cranberry-clementine cornmeal thumbprints

10 comments:

  1. I adore this time of the year with the amazing variety of sweets.
    Your cookies look so yummy, Amy, wish I could try a bite right now with my cup of coffee!
    Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MERRY CHRISTMAS! These cookies look sensational...love the hint of spices in it...awesome recipe,thanks so much for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I just read brown butter cookies? Please give them all to me oh PLEASE! These look fabulous!
    Merry Christmas Amy! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful combination! I love cranberry and white chocolate together on their own but you've lifted those flavors even higher! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy, very addictive cookies. Great combination.
    Merry Christmas to you and all at home. Have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cookies sound great and I'm happy to have a recipe for a smaller amount of cookies. Perfect for just the two of us. Have a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so perfect for this time of the year. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, pretty damn good cookies!
    Merry christmas and happy holidays, God blessed you all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the combination of cranberries and white chocolate and that brown butter sounds wonderful! Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!