December 26, 2013

Spaghetti squash patties with cilantro-lemon yogurt


I'm back with a recipe for week 8 of the 12 Weeks of Winter Squash. With all the holiday recipes and general craziness of the season, I missed week 7 - hopefully I'll be able to do all the remaining weeks though. It's the time of year when we try to eat from our freezer and pantry a lot, including a big stash of winter squash and all the goodies I canned the past year. We ate these patties with some pork chops and green tomato and apple chutney. All the flavors went together perfectly! I spiced these spaghetti squash patties to compliment the chutney, but you could use other spices as well -- spaghetti squash really provides a blank canvas for flavors. The idea for these patties was inspired by a recipe I saw a while back from Sprigs of Rosemary. I thought it would be a delicious way to enjoy some of our spaghetti squash stash and I was correct.


Spaghetti squash patties with cilantro-lemon yogurt
for the patties:
1 small spaghetti squash
olive or coconut oil
1/4 cup minced white onion
1 garlic clove, minced
zest of half a lemon
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
pinch of cayenne pepper
pinch of sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
a couple grinds of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/3 to 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, preferably unbleached

for the sauce:
1/4 cup plain yogurt
juice of half a lemon
pinch of sea salt
2 tablespoons of minced cilantro, plus more for garnish

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Lightly oil a baking sheet/dish and place the spaghetti squash cut-side down on the dish. Bake until you can pierce the skin with a fork, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool until you can pick it up.

Use a fork to pull out all the the spaghetti squash flesh into a medium bowl. Then transfer the spaghetti squash to a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Put the squash back in the bowl. Stir in the onion, garlic, lemon zest, cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt, pepper, and baking powder. Then stir in the egg. Add flour a few tablespoons at a time, stirring well, until the squash begins to stay together and you can form patties out of it.

Stir all of the sauce ingredients together and refrigerate until serving. 

Heat a cast iron skillet and add a little oil. Take about 3-4 tablespoons of the squash mixture per patty and spread it into the skillet, doing about 3-4 patties in a batch. When golden brown flip and cook until both sides are golden. Repeat until all the mixture is used. Sprinkle with sea salt and extra cilantro.

Serve hot with the yogurt sauce.


What was I cooking one year ago?: spelt eggnog pancakes
Two years ago?: sweet and spiced glazed mixed nuts
Three?: cranberry-almond couscous salad
4?: carrot soup with orange

20 comments:

  1. The squash patties look so good, Amy.
    Happy Holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! I love the combination of spices you used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love trying new recipes using spaghetti squash! These patties look delicious. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to invite you to join our site www.erecipe.com . I really enjoy your blog and recipes and I think the over 8,000 unique daily visitors to eRecipe will too.
    By joining eRecipe, we will provide the Nutrition Facts for every recipe you post in which you could customize and add to your blog. Viewers need and love to know the nutritional facts. Its a free service that we offer to blogs and recipes we really love. It looks professional and your members will love it.
    Simply visit www.erecipe.com or contact me at michelle@erecipe.com. We look forward having you in our network!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like something I would love! Thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 12 Weeks of Winter Squash...sounds like heaven, as do these patties! I love using squash in unconventional but delicious ways like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great vegetarian meal! Now I have to find someone to post me spaghetti squash seeds so that I can grow some :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would definitely like to spend some time with a plate of these spaghetti squash patties. I'm having some vegetarian guests over the weekend and they'll be pleased as can be with these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a creative, delicious use of spaghetti squash! I could go for a couple right now. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea Amy, making patties out of spaghetti squash...and yes the lemon cilantro yogurt looks delicious with it.
    Happy New Year :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like a great recipe!! I love spaghetti squash and really must make some soon! Thank you so much for sharing! I hope that you have a great New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea for spaghetti squash! The yogurt sauce sounds perfect with the squash patties.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a delicious squash dish. Wishing you a Happy New Year! And a wonderful 2014 ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  14. such a great idea for spaghetti squash! sounds so delicious! hope you have a happy new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Spaghetti squash patties and omelette is actually my grandmas's signature.......
    lovin your healty yoghurt dip, sounds refreshing with the herbs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look really good! Such a nice and healthy way to enjoy spaghetti squash. The yogurt topping looks killer! Really nice. Thanks, and I hope you have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the spices in these!! So much great flavor to liven up the spaghetti squash!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Amy, I try to use everything up this time of year too and start fresh for the New Year.
    I would very much enjoy these squash patties. I love dishes like this.
    Have a very Happy and Blessed New Year. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. my boyfriend hates spaghetti squash and i just can't understand it. what a creative way to use it, and the yogurt sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!