Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Rhubarb lemonade


Pink lemonade makes me think of summer as a kid. Days that were long and hot and spent playing outside, exploring the field or creek, catching bugs, watching fireflies, eating wild strawberries, and reading. Sometimes I really miss those long summers and having a nice vacation... But I can make some refreshing, tangy, and slightly sweet lemonade to enjoy on a summery weekend to enjoy while relaxing. 

This recipe uses seasonal rhubarb to give the lemonade its pink color and also add a bit of complexity to the drink's flavor. Since we aren't big sugar eaters, I made this drink a little less sweet than what you'll probably find in most recipes. If you want it to be sweeter, up the amount of sugar to 1 cup when making the syrup. Grab a pitcher and a few glasses and make up a batch of this lemonade before the rhubarb is gone!


Rhubarb lemonade
2 cups roughly chopped rhubarb
water
3/4 cup sugar (I use unbleached cane sugar)
1-1/4 cups fresh lemon juice (from about 5-6 lemons)

In a medium sauce pot combine the rhubarb, 1-1/2 cups water, and the sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissloves and the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb is broken down and the mixture reduces slightly, about 10 minutes. 

Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer, pressing to remove all of the liquid. Pour the syrup into a pitcher along with the lemon juice. Stir well and then stir in water (about 4-6 cups) until it reaches your desired flavor/dilution preference. Refrigerate for a few hours until it is very cold.

Stir before serving. Serve over ice or with lemon slices, if desired.


What was I cooking one year ago?: hot & sour rhubarb pork & noodles
Two years ago?: hot beef, broccoli, & coconut red curry
Three?: cheese ravioli with roasted vegetables
4?: Thai green curry

13 comments:

  1. A little tart and little sweet, how lovely. Have a super week. BAM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some freshly cut rhubarb on my kitchen counter. I was going to make rhubarb butter, but I think I will give your lemonade a try instead. Might be good with a little vodka?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a little vodka would be a great addition!

      Delete
  3. Love your description of summer, it sounds similar to mine growing up. I haven't made lemonade in years and your recipe sounds terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delicious lemonade Amy...I love the idea of rhubarb in it...it sure looks pretty too.
    Have a great week :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! Never had rhubarb lemonade, but the idea sounds so right. Definitely something I need to try -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever combination Amy, this looks so refreshing. Never thought to use rhubarb this way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In New Hampshire, a soda company made rhubarb sodas that were so refreshing on a hot summer day. This sounds like a perfect hot weather combo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is different in a good way! I never saw rhubarb in a drink before. It looks delicious and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great summer lemonade!! I love the rhubarb addition!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like such a refreshing drink and the color is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!