Monday, June 30, 2014

Stovetop kettle corn

  
Summer is here and that means it is carnival and fair season. One of my favorites foods to get at a fair has always been kettle corn. I love that it's still warm and has a sweet and salty crunch. I've always thought it was some magical thing that surely must be difficult to make (and, of course, require some sort of huge kettle hanging outside), but after some investigation, I discovered that it's quite simple to make at home. It's perfect for a summer movie night snack!

This addictive treat will definitely become one of our favorite ways to enjoy popcorn at home now. This recipe makes enough for two people, so feel free to increase it for more people (but make sure you have a large kettle, or do it in a couple of batches). I used a large stainless steel soup pot. I read that you probably don't want to use cast iron because the sugar will get too hot and stick/burn. 


Stovetop kettle corn
3 tablespoons oil (I used refined coconut oil)
3 tablespoons granulated sugar (I used unbleached organic cane sugar)
1/3 cup popcorn kernels
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or more to taste

In a large soup pot, warm the oil along with three or four popcorn kernels over medium heat with the lid on. Keep a potholder on your hand and give the pot a shake every once in a while. Once those kernels pop, stir in the sugar and 1/3 cup of popcorn. 

Return the lid to the pan and continue to give it a shake every 15 seconds or so to keep the sugar from burning. Once the popping stops, remove from the heat and add the salt. Give the popcorn a good stir and serve immediately.


What was I cooking one year ago?: seared scallops over pearl couscous w/ peas & garlic scape sauce
Two years ago?: farfelle with summer squash & garlic scape pesto 
Three?: sesame chicken & Mandarin orange salad 
4?: lemon ricotta pancakes with berry sauce

22 comments:

  1. I love homemade popcorn, makes the house smell amazing!!! Thanks for your recipe, never thought to do a sweet/salty version before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! The perfect movie watching treat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I love kettle corn! Who knew it was so simple? I'll be trying this for some long 4th of July weekend snacking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The perfect snack for just any occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used the same method to make amaranth.
    Love your sweet and salty popcorn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great (healthier) snack than chips! Yum :)

    http://whiskandshout.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks absolutely addictive!
    Looking at the pretty pictures I can nearly smell the wonderful aroma of freshly made popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kettle corn is da bomb! I never tried to make it at home! This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made popcorn so similar to this recently but used maple syrup. Love making my own popcorn!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't had kettle corn in ages! And it's so good, isn't it? Terrific post -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! you make this sound so simple, love kettle corn. We used to sit outside at night and watch movies and eat popcorn, but nothinh like this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never make popcorn anymore, because I don't stop eating till it's gone! But I might have to make an exception for your wonderful kettle corn :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Homemade popcorn is quite addictive. My family consumes an obscene amount of popcorn... Yours look so good that I could eat the entire bowl and come for more. Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look and sound absolutely amazing!
    Manuella

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how kettle corn is a hint of sweet and salty. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I often make kettle corn but I'll bet yours is better. I'm going to try your method next.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My daughter and I have been watching lots of movies this summer and we always make popcorn. Next time I'm going to have to try adding sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love kettle corn. A bit salty, a lot sweet. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing. I didn't know you could do that. Obviously when I think kettle corn I am visualizing BIG kettle corn.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love stovetop kettle corn...this remind me of my childhood.
    Have a wonderful week Amy :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. MMMMM - popcorn is a favorite snack of ours and this version looks really yummy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The smell of kettlecorn is enough to slay me. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!