Thursday, July 10, 2014

Lemon and chive kohlrabi fritters


Kohlrabi is one of those vegetables that I had never had in my childhood. In fact, I don't think I had ever even heard of it or seen it, let alone eaten it, until a few years ago when we started doing more shopping at the farmers' market. To me, kohlrabi tastes sort of like a big radish - it's a bit spicy, crisp, and juicy. You can eat them raw or cooked, but I prefer them cooked. Plus, I love making all sorts of vegetables into fritters, patties, latkes, and pancakes. I think it's a fun way to eat them and I like to try out different flavors with them. These little kohlrabi fritters with a touch of lemon zest and chives are a great starter or side dish for a summer dinner. This recipe will make about eight 2-3 inch fritters.


Lemon and chive kohlrabi fritters
about 3 cups grated kohlrabi (I used purple)
2 teaspoons freshly minced chives
zest of one lemon
1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 to 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
olive oil for cooking
4 tablespoons sour cream, for serving
juice of half a lemon, for serving

Place the grated kohlrabi in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze over the sink to remove as much liquid as possible. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Stir in the chives, lemon zest, salt, pepper, egg, and baking powder. Then stir in just under 1//3 cup of flour. Add more flour, about a tablespoon or two at a time, until the mixture stays together.

Heat a cast iron or other non-stick skillet. When hot, add about two tablespoons of your cooking oil. Form the patties about 2-3 inches across. Cook in the skillet in batches, until both sides are golden and crisp. Sprinkle with salt when you remove from the pan.

Stir together the sour cream and lemon juice for serving.


What was I cooking one year ago?: broccoli salad with cheddar, cranberries, & sunflower seeds
Two years ago?: pistachio cardamom ice cream
Three?: guacamole 
4?: cauliflower & broccoli stuffed manicotti

11 comments:

  1. I've never heard of kohlrabi before, but I love any kind of fritter. This looks like a perfect summer appetizer. Love that pretty blue plate, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy kohlrabi because it's so pretty, but always end up eating it raw because I don't know what to do with it. I'm saving this recipe for the next such occasion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never eaten kohlrabi before, but have seen lots of recipes using it. Have never seen it in the supermarkets at my area, would really love to try it someday. I love fritters and these looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well i learned something new today, never heard of Kohlrabi before reading this and now I really want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had kohlrabi soup for the dinner today. Those patties look very delicious, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd never had kohlrabi until last year's CSA basket. It was lovely but I mostly ate it raw. Didn't even think to cook it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to pin this, because I have it Kohlrabi raw,but never cooked. And what's not to like about a fritter. This look nice and thick and crispy on the outside like they should be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't had kohlrabi for ages and your way to prepare it inspires me to try it again.
    It looks so tasty and the sour cream is a perfect match to accompany the kohlrabi , simply yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love every kind of fritter there is! Never made one with kohlrabi, though. Terrific idea! I'll be trying this at some point -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These fritters look great...I could have these as my main meal...yum!
    Enjoy the rest of your week Amy :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Amy, I haven't try kohlrabi, doubt it's available in our supermarket too. But your fritter definitely look delicious. Thanks for sharing.

    Have a wonderful week ahead,regards.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!