Monday, August 25, 2014

Blueberry button cookies


It's been pretty warm around here lately and blueberries are still in season. We just stocked up on a few quarts and froze them for the rest of the year and I used some of them to make these cute little blueberry button cookies for a family picnic. This recipe comes from Taste of Home magazine and I marked it to try as soon as I saw it. The cookies were definitely tasty and pretty cute, though the texture and even the smell reminded me of a mini blueberry pancake! I think that if I made them again I would refrigerate the dough for a while to help keep them from spreading so much. However, they still turned out good and were a hit at the picnic. 

With September just around the corner, I know I'm not the only one who is starting to think of fall... However, it's not quite time for fall foods yet and these blueberry cookies are a nice addition to a late summer table. The below recipe is my slightly adapted version (the original is at the link above). It will make about 2-1/2 dozen cookies.


Blueberry button cookies
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 large egg
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup blueberry juice cocktail
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 to 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries

for the glaze:
1 cup icing cugar
about 2 tablespoons blueberry juice cocktail 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. 

In a large bowl cream together the butter, sugars, and lemon zest until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg. Beat in the yogurt, juice, and vanilla until combined. 

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients mixing until just combined. 

Drop the dough by rounded tablespoons onto the baking sheets 2-inches apart. Press four blueberries into each cookie to resemble a button. 

Bake for 11-14 minutes, until the bottoms and edges are golden. Set the cookies on a wire rack to cool. Repeat with any remaining dough.

When the cookies are almost cooled, prepare the glaze. Slowly stir the blueberry juice into the icing sugar until it reaches a glaze consistency. Spread some glaze over each cookies and let dry.

These cookies are best enjoyed the day they are made.


What was I cooking one year ago?: crabapple mostarda
Two years ago?: peach-nutmeg frozen yogurt
Three?: zucchini pancakes
4?: spiced peach butter

12 comments:

  1. I love blueberry season and these cookies are such a lovely way to use them up! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the purple blueberry glaze. Gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. These are just gorgeous! I don't think I've ever had a blueberry cookie - clearly I am missing out! Thanks for sharing this from a "Taste of Home " magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute are these! I love that fresh blueberries are used so you get juicy bursts of berry in every bite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cookies look scrumptious with blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've had wonderful blueberries this year! One of the best seasons in a long time. Great cookies -- love the idea. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We still have a ton of local blueberries in the store! Makes me happy. The cookies look absolutely delicious! I could plow through the entire plate. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sitting here wondering if I have ever had a blueberry cookie? Bar cookies yes, but I not a 'regular' cookie. Fun and I really like the title you chose. So perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks really delicious! Thanks for dropping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cookies look wonderful! Blueberries are my favorite fruit to bake with but I've never made blueberry cookies. Will have to try this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never tried using blueberries in cookies. Sounds really delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!