Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Blueberry pie


I have a problem when it comes to most pies. That problem is that I cannot wait until they fully cool to cut into them and eat them. This causes them to be on the runnier side, especially fruit pies. But it's a risk I'm willing to take (and, actually, I kind of like the juiciness, especially when it's served with ice cream). So as you can see from the photos below, we dug into this blueberry pie while it was still warm - a nice contrast the the vanilla ice cream on top. You can use tapioca in your fruit pies instead of cornstarch of flour and it will make the filling thicker.

Blueberries are in high season here right now. This pie came about from a little mistake. We had froze a few pints of blueberries for the winter. We froze them on a baking sheet and then transferred them to a freezer bag. Somehow, one of the bags of frozen blueberries ended up in the fridge instead of the freezer -- oops. So, instead of trying to re-freeze them (they probably would have turned to mush), we made pie instead!


Blueberry pie
1 recipe for a double pie crust
1 large egg
4 cups blueberries
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup sugar, I used unbleached cane sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 

Toss the blueberries, lemon juice, cornstarch, and sugar together in a large bowl and set aside.

After combining your dough ingredients, form the dough into a ball and cut in half (making one half slightly larger than the other). Roll out the larger half onto a lightly floured surface until it will fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Shape it into the pie plate, removing/folding over any overhang. Roll out the remaining dough on a lightly floured surface. Using a sharp knife, cut it into strips (about eight) that are about 1/2-3/4 inch wide. 

Pour the blueberry mixture into the pie crust. Top the filling with the strips of pie dough, weaving them to make a lattice pattern. Pull off any extra dough and pinch the ends into the pie crust.

Lightly beat the egg with a couple teaspoons of water. Brush the egg onto the pie dough strips.


Bake for 55-60 minutes, until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly. Let cool before serving (as long as you can). Serve with vanilla ice cream or freshly whipped cream, if desired.


What was I cooking one year ago?: skillet zucchini biscuit pie
Two years ago?: warm Mexican corn salad 
Three?: honey dew-cucumber-basil coolers 
4?: summer vegetable enchiladas with creamy poblano sauce 

16 comments:

  1. Looks perfect! Especially with that blob of ice cream on top. I am exactly the same with pie, why wait until it's cool?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can never wait until my pies are cool to cut into them, either! But I agree - the warm juice is good with the cold ice cream. Mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful - and I chuckled at the comment above ('blob of ice cream')!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mistakes make for the best recipes, in my opinion. We've been picking lots of blueberries from my parent's backyard and now I know what to make with them! Also, I always eat my pie hot and runny with ice cream. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I certainly can't wait till the pie cool . This pie looks so amazingly appetizing full with heavanly bluebberries ! LOVE it , YUM

    ReplyDelete
  6. nothing beats a homemade blueberry pie.. so craving a slice right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too can't wait until it cools down. Your blueberry pie looks amazing, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness, gracious. This pie just put a big ol smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, we're way too eager to cut into pies just-from-the-oven too. But we like them runny, so that' OK. Terrific pie -- thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Actually I like it runny...I love the see all the blueberries...really a pie loaded with it...yum!
    Hope you are enjoying your week Amy :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. A little runny or not...this is one gorgeous pie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pie was meant to be! Blueberry is my favorite and this is just a big tease! ;-) Warm with ice cream is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Damn delicious and refreshing bluberry pie!
    superb!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm right there with you in not being able to wait!! Nothing better than a piece of really warm fruit pie with ice cream. Your blueberry pie with ice cream - YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!