Thursday, September 18, 2014

Chicken and apple Indian curry


I don't say this lightly, but this curry is one of my favorite meals I've eaten in a while (and my husband concurs). My husband found this recipe in his magazine The Week and it comes from a book (which I've now requested from the library and can't wait to read) called Apples of Uncommon Character: Heirlooms, Modern Classics, and Little Known Wonders. Long-time readers know that I love apples and that we go apple picking every fall (it's coming up soon). It's just something that you have to do in apple country during the fall. We go to this great orchard at Lynoaken Farms where they have tons of heirloom and heritage apples so we try all sorts of different varieties that you'd never find in a grocery store. I'm hoping that the library gets the book in before October so I can read it in time.

I urge you to make this curry this fall. I used the original recipe as a guide, but made many changes for my final recipe. I used Granny Smith apples because I thought the tartness would be nice in the curry. I think one sour and one sweet apple would apple would also be nice. The apples pair so wonderfully with the Indian spices. My version will make about three to four servings. Serve this curry with Basmati rice and a dollop of plain yogurt on top.


Chicken and apple Indian curry
1-inch piece of ginger root, peeled and roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves
1-inch piece of turmeric root, peeled and roughly chopped (or 1-1/2 teaspoons ground)
2 teaspoons Garam masala
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1-2 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee
about 1-1/4 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
sea salt
1 cinnamon stick
1 medium white onion, chopped
1 cup apple cider
1 cup chicken broth/stock
2 medium apples, such as Granny Smith, cored and diced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
plain yogurt, for serving
1 cup Basmati rice, cooked to package directions

In a food processor, blend the ginger, garlic, turmeric, Garam masala, coriander, and red pepper flakes to a paste. Add a tablespoon of coconut oil, or a couple tablespoons of apple cider to help it blend together, if needed.

In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and add to the pan. Cook until browned, then turn and cook the other side until browned. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside on a plate. 

Add the spice paste to the skillet along with the cinnamon stick and more coconut oil, if needed. Stir the paste and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in the onion and continue to cook, stirring often, until soft and golden. Stir in the cider and chicken broth and stir well to de-glaze the pan. Return the chicken (and any juices) to the pan. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Turn the heat back up to medium and stir in the apples. Cook, stirring often, until the apples are tender and the sauce has reduced, about 5-7 minutes. Taste and add more salt, if needed.

Stir in the cilantro. Remove the cinnamon stick. Serve immediately with a side of Basmati rice and plain yogurt for topping, if desired.


What was I cooking one year ago? peach & cranberry chutney

13 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds fantastic! I absolutely love curries (in fact, we had one earlier this week) and your addition of the apples is so creative. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love curry (even if I don't love the way our house smells after, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something that really tickles my taste buds - I'm really into curries at the moment - so thank you for a new recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't have to urge me to try it. I love apples too. I live in Washington state. It's part of our gene set. But in addition I love curry!!!!! Where I live it's 1.5 to 2 hrs to get to an Indian restaurant. So you are getting the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really original recipe,
    never had apple curry before, definitely delicious and worth to try recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What unique flavors! This is a perfect fall dish. I always find curry really comforting too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We didn't get to go apple picking last year ... so I am making it happen this fall! This curry looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, my husband was just talking about curry the other night. This will definitely be a recipe that I will make this Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet the apple is good in this, sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this sounds so good! i love the apple in this. mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an interesting recipe, Amy! I love curries but next time I intend to try it with apples.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks yummy! Thanks for sharing at the Friday Frenzy Link Party! PINNED!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!