Thursday, September 4, 2014

Honey walnut pie


This pie was my husband's birthday dessert pick for this year. I had been wanting to try a honey walnut pie based off of my maple pecan pie for a while now, so this was the perfect reason to give it a try. I modified the recipe just slightly and it turned out super yummy. If you are lucky enough to have access to (and the patience for) collecting and preparing black walnuts, they are in season right now. I cheated and bought walnuts from the store, but I did use local honey. The pie turned out really delicious - similar to a pecan pie, but with a different flavor. It's really sweet from the honey, so a little piece goes a long way. This pie would be a very nice addition to your Thanksgiving table this year, or for any fall meal.

I've been posting less frequently lately - it's been a somewhat difficult few months for me. It's not something I want to go into details about, but it's been both physically and emotionally challenging so I haven't been cooking as much lately as I would like. I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things soon. 


Honey walnut pie
1 single pie crust recipe (my two favorites: olive oil and lard)
1-1/4 cups walnut halves
1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
3 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar, preferably unbleached cane sugar
1 cup runny honey
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and bake just until fragrant and lightly toasted. Remove, set aside, and bump up the oven to 400 degrees.

Fit the pie crust to a 9-inch pie pan.

Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Then whisk in the sugar until dissolved. Stir in the honey, butter, vanilla, and salt until combined. Then stir in the walnuts.

Pour into the unbaked pie shell. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and continue baking until the pie puffs slightly, the walnuts are golden, and the pie is set, about 35-40 minutes. Let cool completely. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate until serving time if not eating that day.



What was I cooking one year ago?: tomato, bacon, and jalapeno skillet pie 
Two years ago?: tomato jam 
Three?: Thai basil chicken 
4?: peaches and cream tart

35 comments:

  1. A beautiful pie with simple ingredients! I can see why your husband asked for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A stunning walnut pie, Amy. I wish I could have a large slice now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I love honey. I'd love a warm slice of this right now! Your husband is one lucky guy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this looks divine - what a lovely treat for your husband. And I'm sorry to hear that things have been challenging for you recently. I'm keeping you in my thoughts, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, this sounds delightful! I would say your husband must be a very smart man. Hang in there. Sounds like things have been rough-take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum! can totally go for a slice of honey walnut pie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This pie looks amazing and I hope that you overcome what ever it is that you are going through right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks and sounds amazing! We love walnuts around here, and pairing them with honey sounds like a marvelous idea. I have you in my thoughts - hoping things get better for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful pie you baked for your husband's birthday. Hope everything works out for you............

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can just tell from reading the recipe that this would be amazing! And amazingly smelling as it bakes too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks wonderful! I love any nut pies!
    Happy Belated Birthday to your hubby.
    And hope everything will be working out fine for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a gorgeous looking pie! I would so enjoy a slice with my tea right now!! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hurray for you husband having a birthday and having good taste in pie. My elder boy always picks pie over cake for birthday. There is no doubt that this is a winner. Sending you good vibrations for your situation right now. Can you feel my warmth just a bit? I am feeling tingly just getting quiet for a moment and sending them. Smiles-----

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delicious sounding pie! So homey!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Honey and walnut is certainly the perfect combo for a pie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmm yum. I bet the honey makes it extra delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, definitely delicious dessert!!!
    crunchy, sweet and nutty...
    the photograph is already tickle my taste buds....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Honey and nuts is always a wonderful combination.
    Would be my pick for my birthday treat too :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. i've had maple pecan pie and honey pecan pie and maple walnut pie, but i've never tried honey walnut pie! this sounds SO good, and it looks even better. must try!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Amy. I'm so sorry to read about the stress you've been going through! I hope things will be better for you very soon.

    What a delightful pie! My mother always found places to find black walnuts and my husband and I actually have a tree in our yard but I'm too lazy to go through the drying and hammering. Now, it's pretty easy to find black walnuts at the store.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry to hear you've had a difficult few months. Sending you a virtual hug and hope things take a turn for the better soon.
    This pie looks like a wonderful way to celebrate a birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hope these difficult times pass soon! I'll say a prayer for you. Love this pie!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This pie looks heavenly to me and my husband would love it too, thanks for sharing the recipe. I too haven't been posting as much lately do to life getting difficult. I hope you get back on track as soon as you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I hope that things are going well for you soon, too!

      Delete
  24. I love the idea of this! It looks so wholesome and delicious at the same time. Honey is the best <3

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!