Monday, November 17, 2014

Butternut squash and cranberry pancakes


Well... I'm having a camera dilemma, folks. I've just started taking a photography class and, of course, my autofocus decided to stop working after the first week of class. Not only that, but my manual focus isn't working so well either. It really stinks because I'm not going to be able to finish the class unless I go buy a new camera right away. Also, I'm not going to be able to take photos for the blog unless I buy a new camera or continue to spend tons of time to get an OK shot like the one above. I took it to a camera place and had my photography teacher look at it and was told that I would need to send it in to get fixed and it would take 4-6 weeks... boo... I had it cleaned and it didn't help. So, I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. Any suggestions? The camera (Cannon T3i Rebel) is not quite 3 years old. But, anyways, I'm trying my best to take advantage of the class and get as decent of photos as I can for now. I'm looking forward to being able to do more with my camera once it's fixed or I have a new one. 

On a happier note, I made some very delicious seasonal butternut squash and cranberry pancakes for Week 3 of 12 Weeks of Winter Squash. These pancakes are a modification of my pumpkin pancake recipe (ugh - talk about bad photos). I think these would be a great Thanksgiving morning or day after Thanksgiving breakfast - they are lightly spiced, a little sweet from the butternut squash (but no added sugar), and little bursts of tart/sour from the cranberries which all pairs nicely with a sweet maple syrup drizzle.


Butternut squash and cranberry pancakes
1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup cooked butternut squash puree
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
about 3/4 cup frozen or fresh cranberries
butter, for cooking
real maple syrup, for serving

Whisk together the dry ingredients (flour through nutmeg) in a medium bowl. 

Whisk together the wet ingredients (buttermilk through vanilla) in a large bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined.

Heat a griddle or castiron skillet until warm. Lightly grease with butter. Pour 1/4 cup of the batter onto the skillet for each pancake. Drop about 6-8 cranberries onto each pancake. Flip the pancakes when they are golden and begin to bubble on the top. Cook until the second side is golden. Repeat until all the batter is used.

Serve hot with a drizzle of real maple syrup. 


What was I cooking one year ago?: Chorizo & black bean stuffed delicata squash boats
Two years ago?: turnip & Yukon gold potato gratin
Three?: pumpkin gnocchi in gorgonzola sauce
4?: Moroccan spiced chickpea & lentil soup


12 comments:

  1. Oh man, that is such a bummer, and entirely frustrating, I'm sure. Doesn't it always happen that way (right when you need it)? I wish I could help, but I have no insight. Can you use your phone for photos in the meantime? I mean, it may not be good for the class, but for blog photos?

    These pancakes are awesome, I love that you used butternut puree. And the cranberries make the perfect accompaniment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Major bummer about your camera! I hope you're able to get it resolved soon. These pancakes look awesome, though! What a fun way to use squash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what yummy pancakes! sorry about your camera. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. What unique pancakes! I love the whole wheat flour and butternut squash used here! Hope everything works out with your camera.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh. Sorry about your camera. I'm having trouble with my auto focus, too...and it's no fun finding a bunch of blurry shots when trying to write a post. Hope you get it figured out soon.
    P.S. What delicious pancakes for this holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't think of anything to tell you right now, but if I do I will let you know. That's great that you are taking a photography class. They are always fun. The pancakes are very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are truly lovely pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW look how thick and fluffy those are!! You know, I've seen plenty of sweet potato pancakes, but it never dawned on me to try a butternut squash version. This has Thanksgiving breakfast written all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about your camera! What a pain. There are a lot of camera sales at this time of the year if you're thinking about a new camera. Anyway, I love the idea of squash in pancakes! Never tried it -- but I will. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Amy,
    Do you add any liquid when pureeing the squash? I made these yesterday and had to add a bunch of milk to get a pancake consistency and I was wondering if the problem was that was squash wasn't liquid enough. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! No, I have not had that problem before. Did you cook the squash first? I usually bake my squash and then puree it (or you can get butternut squash puree in a can) - it's often pretty watery after baking. I'm sorry you had troubles!

      Delete
  11. Those look fabulous! I love butternut squash, this variation sounds like a great way to use it :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!