Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Chipotle chicken, hubbard squash, and pinto bean soup


Back in late September we bought a rather large blue hubbard squash at the farmers' market for only $2.00. This thing was pretty huge and, no lie, we've eaten it in about 10 meals already and it's not gone yet. This squash was definitely a great deal! If you haven't eaten blue hubbard squash before, please give it a try. It's very dense and very sweet - it's one of my favorites - it's even better than butternut, I swear (though butternut is also wonderful). I'm a huge fan of winter squashes and aside from that blue hubbard, we have a stash of all kinds in the basement. So, I'm excited to be participating in the 12 Weeks of Winter Squash blogger event again for the third year! Thanks to Heather from girlichef and Joanne from Eats Well With Others for hosting this fun event again. This event is open to any food bloggers who want to participate!


My first contribution this year is this soup that combines the sweet hubbard squash with chicken, pinto beans, and potato in a spicy and creamy broth (that also happens to contain some cheese). It's comfort food and perfect for a cold autumn evening.


Chipotle chicken, hubbard squash, and pinto bean soup
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1-1/2 teaspoons coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 quart chicken broth
1 chiptole in adobo pepper, minced, plus 1-3 teaspoons of sauce
3 cups peeled and diced blue hubbard squash
1 large potato, diced
1 cup whole milk
3 cups cooked shredded or diced chicken
1 can (15-16 oz.) pinto beans, drained
1-1/2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar
3 tablespoons minced cilantro

In a soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat until warm. Add the onion and stir well. Cook for about 2-3 minutes and then stir in the garlic, coriander, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir well and cook for another minute. Then stir in the flour and cook for another 2-3 minutes.

Whisk in the chicken broth until the flour is smooth. Add the chipotle and 1 teaspoon of sauce. Add the squash and potato and let the mixture come to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash and potatoes are almost fork tender. Stir in the milk, chicken, and pinto beans and turn to heat back up to a low boil. Cook until the vegetables are soft and the broth has thickened.

Taste for salt and pepper and at this point, stir in extra adobo sauce, if desired. Remove the soup from the heat and whisk in the cheddar. Stir in the cilantro and serve. Top with sour cream and/or extra cheese, if desired. 


What was I cooking one year ago?: green tomato and apple chutney
Two years ago?: Borscht
Three?: apple-stuffed acorn squash
4?: maple-mustard roasted baby turnips

11 comments:

  1. I love the sweet and spicy combo, this is totally my kind of soup. I really like blue hubbards, I just loathe getting into them ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, this is totally my type of soup! It looks and sounds SO delicious. Can't wait to see what other awesomeness comes out of the winter squash blogger event!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I have ever had a hubbard squash...your soup looks comforting and very tasty, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's amazing that you've gotten 10 meals out of a squash! I've never tried a hubbard squash before. It sounds good and your soup looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never had a hubbard squash before - and I am so intrigued - what a deal this squash was - lasting y'all through 10 meals!!!
    I simply love your combo of sweet with spicy adobo chili in the heart bowl -perfect for these cold nights!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Squash can be an amazing value, can't it? You sure got your money's worth out of that Hubbard! This is a great dish -- so full of flavor. Love it! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i saw this title and i thought, mmm that's a yes! i think even my picky kid would eat this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me at the words chipotle chicken. This soup sounds tasty and I love the incorporation of squash.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've never had hubbard squash but now i will have to look for it. sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. my grandpa always likes to give me a huge hubbard squash and i never quite know what to do with all of it. this is a delicious use!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You don't see a lot of hubbard squash in my neck of the woods but now you have me wanting to go on the hunt for one. Your soup looks quite hearty and comforting.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!