Thursday, November 6, 2014

Salted caramel popcorn with peanuts


Caramel corn with peanuts (think like Cracker Jacks or Crunch n' Munch) was a favorite of mine when I was a kid. But, I can't recall eating it in many years. So, for an adult Halloween treat, I made us a batch popcorn coated in a caramel made with sea salt and honey and peanuts. It was delicious and went very nicely with a bottle of pumpkin ale. My husband and I may be in our 30s, but we still watch holiday specials and cartoons like Charlie Brown and Garfield. 

This popcorn needs to cool before you eat it so you need to plan ahead a little bit. In fact, it's better the next day because the caramel coating is crunchier and you can better taste the salt. So try to wait after you make it or plan to make it the day before you want it if you can. I'll warn you that it is quite addictive. I'm also thinking it could make a nice homemade holiday gift. I adapted this recipe from one over at Pineapple and Coconut. This recipe will make enough for about four people. 


Salted caramel popcorn with peanuts
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup roasted peanuts

Pop the popcorn in an air popper into a large bowl. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Heat the butter, brown sugar, and honey in a pot over medium heat stirring until melted. Turn the heat up and bring to a boil. Let boil for 4 minutes stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, baking soda, and sea salt. The mixture will bubble up so be ready to stir.

Pour the caramel into the bowl of popcorn and stir it. When it's pretty well covered, stir in the peanuts. Continue to stir until the caramel is pretty well distributed. Transfer the popcorn to the baking sheets and spread in an even layer. 

Place in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes, stirring the popcorn mixture every 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for about an hour. Stir/break up the popcorn into pieces. Store in an airtight container until serving.


What was I cooking one year ago?: Chinese five-spice pork with spaghetti squash
Two years ago?: pumpkin pie ice cream
Three?: coconut and lime poached white fish with baby bok choy
4?: pumpkin-corn muffins

14 comments:

  1. YUM. The hubs and I have a habit of making popcorn when we watch movies on Saturday night. This recipe is going in the rotation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeeeesssss this looks absolutely gorgeous! I love popcorn in pretty much any variety, and I bet this would be perfect for a fall night in front of a film :)
    the hobbit kitchen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy, I used to love Cracker Jacks, great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caramel Popcorn is my favorite. How did you know?..lol. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect treat for Halloween - or any time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I adore caramel corn, too! I'm thinking I could make some for holiday gifts! That way I could still sample, but not eat it all myself! Yours looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn deliicous!!!
    i want this for my movies night....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a lovely snack, I can see why this would be addictive. Great idea to give this as a foodie gift!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boy am I going to be popular at work! This beats everyone else's popcorn by 10 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um I don't think I can wait til the next day to dig into this!! Looks simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love caramel corn! Though, I agree with Ashley...I would want to eat it immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amy, your salted caramel popcorn looks like such a treat - I have never made any but looking at your lovely pictures, I am convinced that I should be making some for family and friends very soon - delicious recipe!
    Have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!