Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Chocolate chip snowball cookies


One last December cookie recipe and then it's time to make other things in my kitchen again... Just kidding, I'm still making a lot of other stuff, it's just that at this time of the year, there are so many cookies, sweets, and other goodies to make, enjoy, and share! These delicate and delicious snowball cookies are my slight adaptation of my Great-grandmother's Mexican Wedding Cakes. The only thing I really changed here was swapping mini-chocolate chips in for the walnuts. This is mainly because I already made her thumbprints (walnuts) and brown butter pecan cookies, so I felt that we didn't really need another nut-based cookie. But another cookie with chocolate is always welcome! I must say that I think they turned out great and I may be making this version for years to come. 

This recipe will make about 2-1/2 dozen cookies. I'm guessing that most people are cookied-out at this point, but pin these for next year or maybe make them for a New Year's treat.  

I wish all of you very Happy Holidays! 

Chocolate chip snowball cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup icing sugar, plus another 3/4 cup for rolling
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semi-sweet mini-chocolate chips

Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Cream together the butter and sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer with a paddle attachment or using a hand mixer. When it is light and fluffy, add the vanilla and continue to mix until combined. 

Turn the mixer to low and slowly add the flour and salt. Mix until just combined and then fold in the chocolate chips with a wooden spoon.

Shape the cookies into 1 tablespoon balls, rolling in the palm of your hand. Place about 1/2-inch apart on the baking sheets. Bake for about 9-11 minutes, until the bottoms are just turning golden. Place the cookies on a wire rack and repeat until all the dough is used.

When the cookies have cooled for about 10 minutes, gently roll them in a bowl with the remaining powdered sugar, shaking off excess. Return to the wire racks to fully cool.


What was I cooking one year ago?: fresh cranberry & white chocolate brown butter cookies
Two years ago?: chocolate-ginger cookies
Three?: sugar plums
Four?: cranberry & almond couscous salad
5?: roasted red pepper dip

15 comments:

  1. I adore snowball cookies!
    Happy Holidays to you and yours, Amy!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snowballs are a family favorite, yum! Happy holidays! Have a great one and eat lots of cookies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore Mexican wedding cookies, and these look fab. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy, Merry Christmas to you and family. Happy holiday.
    That's a very nice and addictive cookies. Thanks for sharing.

    Warmest regards
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY HOLIDAYS! These cookies are divine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy,
    I've bookmarked this recipe but got no time to try it out.
    These snowballs are so addictive and they looked pretty as gifts too.
    Happy holidays and wish you'll have a great year ahead ... Happy New Year 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amy, I could never be cookied out, these look delicious, pinned! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for cookies! i love that you put chocolate chips in these snowballs. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound great with mini chocolate chips! My grandmother made a similar cookie with pecans. Happy New Year, early!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love snowball cookies Amy! Adding chocolate chips to them can only make them better! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I make these every year but never added chocolate chips. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look like our kourabiedes! I bet they taste great! I wish to you a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love cookies like these! I have to keep talking myself down from making every.single.cookie that I come across this week - these look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how these cookies are minis and so cute. They are perfect in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  15. just 6 ingredients? i'm already enticed. :)
    these look and sound fantastic, amy--happy new year!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!