Monday, January 19, 2015

Chicken and kabocha squash red curry


Well folks, it's the last week of 12 Weeks of Winter Squash! I think this was the third year I participated in this event and this is the first year that I posted a new recipe for every week! That was my goal because we have so many (so many!) winter squash from a great deal we got at the last day of our local farmers' market and then a bunch we got from a relative's garden. Luckily, they keep so well and this event has really helped me to make sure I don't forget to use them. This year I've used all kinds as well: butternut, blue hubbard, spaghetti, delicata, heirloom sweet meat, acorn, kabocha, and of course pumpkin. And, we still have more in the basement and a bunch of puree in the freezer, so I'm not finished with winter squash for the season just yet!

This week I'm using kabocha squash one more time. I love the way the sweet kabocha squash pairs with the spicy red curry in this dish. I added broccoli, but you can use almost any vegetables you have on hand - snow peas, green beans, bell peppers, etc. Curries are so versatile and forgiving. This dish will serve four people.


Chicken and kabocha squash red curry
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 shallot, halved and thinly sliced
2-3 tablespoons red curry paste
1 can (~15 oz. ) coconut milk
1 small kabocha squash, peeled and diced (about 3-4 cups)
approximately 1-1.5 lbs. chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 teaspoon sugar
3 teaspoons fish sauce (this is my favorite - it's the real deal)
1 heaped cup frozen broccoli florets, thawed
juice of half a lemon
1/3 cup roughly chopped cilantro
14 oz. rice noodles, cooked to package directions and rinsed, for serving (or white rice)

In a large skillet, warm the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring often, until it begins to soften. Stir in 2 tablespoons of curry paste and cook just until it becomes fragrant. Stir in the coconut milk (then fill the can about halfway with water and swish/stir well to get out all the coconut and stir it into the pan).

Add the kabocha squash, chicken, sugar, and fish sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the squash is fork-tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in the broccoli and lemon juice. Cook until the broccoli is warmed through.

Taste and adjust seasoning if needed (e.g., add more curry paste if needed or more sugar, fish sauce, or lemon juice, as desired).

Stir in the cilantro and ladle the curry into bowl overs the cooked rice noodles.



What was I cooking one year ago?: Carnitas
Two years ago?: Italian spaghetti squash bake
Three?: lemony raw kale salad
Four?: skillet pasta puttanesca
5?: Matcha tea leaf shortbread cookies

11 comments:

  1. Pretty sure I need to make this with the squash I currently have in my fridge. It looks so awesomely flavorful!!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome Amy! I absolutely adore currys, and I don't make them enough. But, every single time I do, I remember how much I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Kabocha squash and I love red curry paste, so I taste that this combination must be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saved. This is exactly the kinda meal I love to make. Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe makes me want to grow squash in my garden. Maybe I will this summer so I can make this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy many types of squash, including the kabocha. Combined with chicken in a curry is to eat and repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea of paring chicken and kabocha...great curry dish Amy.
    Enjoy your week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved all the squash recipes! And you're going out on a high note -- this is so flavorful. And I've never met a curry I didn't like. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This red curry looks so full of flavour, the squash is one of my fave veges :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea and lovely way to use squash

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like this coconut fragrant kabocha squash red curry ... delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!