Thursday, January 15, 2015

Savory onion pie


Today I'm officially kicking off the 25 Pies of 2015 challenge I created for myself at the end of 2014. I've decided that the definition of pie here will include both sweet and savory fillings. I have this old Colonial Cookbook that has some really interesting dishes in it and one that caught my eye for this challenge was Onion Pie. I made some slight modifications because the original recipe was for a deep dish double crust pie. The filling is really very much like a quiche - eggs, cream, and some flavorings. However, there are a lot of onions in here and they really are the star of this pie, not the eggs. There are two pounds of caramelized onions in this pie filling! 

We ate this pie for dinner and it's a perfect meal with a side salad. It would also make a lovely lunch, breakfast, or brunch. It should serve between four to six people depending on the side dishes and how hungry they are. There was not a specific recipe for pie/pastry crust given in the book, but you definitely want one that isn't sweet. I used my olive oil pie crust for this dish because it's savory and quick. 

I've got a long list of pies to try this year and am looking forward to perfecting my pie crusts in terms of technique and flavor, but also in making them look pretty! 



Savory onion pie
1 recipe for a single pie crust
5 strips of bacon
2 lbs. onions (I used a mix of red and yellow)
1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 large eggs
1-1/4 cups half and half
dried parsley, for garnish 

Dice the bacon and cook until crisp in a castiron or other nonstick skillet. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside on a paper towel lined plate. Drain the bacon fat from the pan leaving about 1 tablespoon for cooking the onions.

Peel and halve the onions lengthwise and slice into about 1/4-inch half moons. Transfer to the skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions begin to caramelize. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir in the tablespoon of flour. Cook for another minute and then transfer to a large bowl to cool slightly.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 

In a smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs and half and half until combined. Add a pinch of salt. 

Roll out your crust and fit to a 9-inch pie plate. Fold over the excess dough and crimp the edges. Transfer the onions to the pie plate and spread them in an even layer. Evenly pour the egg mixture over the onions. Sprinkle with the cooked bacon. 

Transfer to the oven and bake until the crust is golden and the filling is set, about 50 minutes. 

Let cool slightly before slicing and top with parsley, if desired. 



What was I cooking one year ago?: soft-baked snickerdoodles
Two years ago?: almond pancakes
Three?: hot & sour chicken, cabbage, & rice soup
Four?: carrot-coconut muffins
5?: lemon tart in a shortbread crust

10 comments:

  1. You don't have to sell me on this! A whole pie full of onions...sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn delicious savoury onion pie!!!
    lovin the flavour of rendered bacon fat caramelized onion....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be all over this pie! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh looks delicious, a pie that can be for any meal!? I'm so in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your pie project :-)) This quiche looks fantastic, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Amy, what a fabulous way to get started with your 25 pie challenge! I love savory pies and this one is a pie I would love to taste - caramelized onions and bacon sound utterly delicious and your pie is just picture perfect with that pretty crust!
    Already looking forward to your up-coming creations - btw love that you took some inspiration from the Colonial Cookbook.
    Have nice weekend,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun challenge, and what a unique pie! I love onions; I get that from my mom. I'm sure I'd love this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amy, what a great way to start off the new year, I bet this is delicious, love the sound of your olive oil crust.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amy,
    My big kids are not very fond of onions except deep fried onion rings ... lol. Bacon + caramelized onion may interest them though. Thanks for sharing this wonderful savory onion pie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If this is the first of your 25 pies, I can't wait to see the other 24! We're big on savory pies so this is one I want to try.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!