Friday, February 20, 2015

Overnight sourdough pancakes


I'm super excited because I've finally been able to keep a sourdough starter alive! I've tried a couple times in the past with no luck, but now I've had mine going for a couple of months now and it's doing great. I got this free starter after a couple failed attempts at making a wild one. I'm practicing my bread baking skills and looking forward to trying all sorts of sourdough creations.

Given my love of pancakes, I knew it wouldn't be long before some sourdough ones hit my Sunday morning breakfast plate. And, boy oh boy are they delicious! The are a bit more savory with a slight tang from the sourdough - perfect for topping with real maple syrup, some butter, and berries. This is a perfect breakfast in my world. Plus, you start the batter the night before so all you have to do is add a few ingredients in the morning and they are ready to cook! This recipe will make about 12-14 pancakes and it adapted from here


Overnight sourdough pancakes
1/2 cup sourdough starter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1-1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled (plus more for cooking)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Before you go to bed, mix together the sourdough starter, milk, water, and flour in a large bowl until combined. Cover with plastic wrap.

The next morning, stir in the remaining ingredients until well-combined. Heat a griddle or castiron skillet. When hot, grease the pan with butter and cook the pancakes using 1/4 of batter for each. When they begin to turn golden and bubble, flip and cook until the second side is golden. Repeat until all batter has been used.

Serve hot with your choice of toppings such as fruit, butter, and real maple syrup.


What was I cooking one year ago?: chicken with preserved lemons, olives, & saffron couscous
Two years ago?: pork chop & sauerkraut casserole
Three?: avocado-chocolate pudding
Four?: roasted sweet potatoes with spinach & cranberries
5?: white chili

13 comments:

  1. I just fed my sourdough starter :-)) These pancakes must taste fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann, great to hear from you. I'm a disaster with sourdough but willing to give it another try if these pancakes are the delicious result!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME. I love sourdough anything...I can add pancakes to that list now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I've never thought of making sourdough pancakes. Such a cool recipe, and the blueberries look like they will compliment the taste nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last time I kept a sourdough starter, I gained ten pounds! I'd love to have one again, if only to make these pancakes- they look so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well shoot! I have no sour dough starter! But these look delicious. Great idea. And now I'm craving pancakes! :) Thanks for stopping by my blog and the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh YUM! These sound and look SO fantastic with the sourdough. And I love that both of us posted pancakes as our latest post - great minds.... =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. so glad you got your starter to work! you will not look back. Have fun creating amazing dishes, and I love the pancakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love sourdough so I bet these tasted amazing,

    ReplyDelete
  10. i was just looking at king arthur flour's recipe for a sourdough starter and wondering if i should try my hand at it. these look lovely and delicious enough to nudge me toward a yes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW talk about picture perfect! These couldn't look any more delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!