Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Vanilla Earl Grey lattes


This is a drink to have by your side while you are curled up with a book and a blanket on a cold winter day. Earl Grey is one of my personal favorites teas, but adding vanilla, sugar, and some frothy milk make it an extra-special drink. It's been pretty snowy and very cold lately, so there have been a lot of hot beverages in our hands. Speaking of books, I just finished reading A Table by the Window on the recommendation of The Pajama Chef and really enjoyed it. I'll likely read the next installment soon, but am also looking for any other book recommendations - especially those that have stories that are set amongst food. Please feel free to leave your favorite food related books in the comments! I do read a lot, but have had trouble locating books I really love lately. So any recommendations are appreciated!

This recipe will make two servings of tea - perfect for you and your loved one when you need to warm up and relax this winter.


Vanilla Earl Grey lattes 
1 mug of water
2 Earl Grey tea bags
1 mug of milk
vanilla sugar*, to taste, or other sweetener of your choice
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract 

Pour the water into a sauce pan along with the tea bags and heat over medium heat until it comes to a low boil. Reduce to a simmer and let heat for 5 minutes. Whisk in the milk, sugar (I use 2 teaspoons), and vanilla. Whisk well and continue to heat until the mixture is hot, whisking often. Remove the tea bags, whisk very briskly until frothy, pour into mugs and serve.

*To make vanilla sugar, place used vanilla beans into a container with some sugar and let sit for several weeks. Use in teas, coffee, baking, etc. to increase the vanilla flavor and scent (plus vanilla bean specks as you can see on top of the tea). If you use vanilla beans, this is a great way to get extra use out of them instead of just tossing the pods after you scrape them.



What was I cooking one year ago?: rabbit & dumpling stew
Two years ago?: chicken taco soup
Three?: salted peanut butter-honey cookies
Four?: Meyer lemon polenta cake
5?: baked egg ramekins

22 comments:

  1. I have never had a tea lattes...it sounds so tasty, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds decadent. My favorite tea is Earl Grey and my favorite latte is vanilla, so I think this suits me, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Earl Gray- these are perfect sippers for a cold winter evening. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore tea lattes, especially London Fogs with extra foamy, creaaaaamy milk.

    You're so right about Earl Grey, it's lovely on its own, but making it into a latte? Such a treat.

    I am in the exact same book reading spot as you - I've always devoured books and am a real book lover, but lately, any book I pick up is just MEH. I can't find anything that'll WOW me. It's very disappointing. And I don't need fireworks either, just a good solid book that I REALLY LIKE.

    If you find anything, do let me know!

    The only 'foodie' book I've read I think is Chocolat, have you read that? One of my all time favourite stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Chocolat - great suggestion. Thanks! And thanks for stopping by :-)

      Delete
  5. It seems like I'm always curled up with a book and a cup of tea. This would be the premium version of my nights, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love a mug of this right now - so perfect for today's snowy weather!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! I adore Earl Grey. A couple of my favorite food related books are Laurie Colwin's Home Cooking and More Home Cooking - she writes essays that are so warm and full of humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and thanks so much for the book recommendations - I will check them out!

      Delete
  8. These tea lattes could definitely make mornings better :P
    This looks lovely!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  9. Earl Grey is my tea of choice every morning…I'll have to try it your way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Earl Grey - have a cup by my side at the moment... Vanilla and sugar, eh? I have to try that (I normally have it with milk)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Earl Grey, it's my favourite tea! I thought immediately of the London Fog teas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tea latte sounds interesting. Unlike most Indians who love milky masala chai, I love my tea sans milk and that makes me wonder about this latte.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been coming around to Earl Grey, and I feel like this is the latte of tea drinking. So perfect for curling up with a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a lovely twist for my morning tea! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Earl Grey is one of my favorites, so I am loving this cup of delight! I will be trying this during a afternoon break this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I AM curled up on my couch under a blanket right now and all I'm missing is this latte!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Early Grey tea, and this is going on my to try list when the weather is cooler :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love tea lattes but haven't ever made my own. i knowwww! gotta try this one (with another tea because i'm not an earl gray lover)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So fancy yet so simple! Looks perfect for a cold night.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear May, such a wonderful added touch for what is one of my very favorite teas of all times - I adore Earl Grey and your variation sounds right down my alley!
    Have good Sunday,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!