Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Chocolate cream pie


Making an old-fashioned chocolate cream pie from scratch has been on my "to-make" list for quite a while now. Since I'm slowly working my way through 25 Pies of 2015, this was one high on my list to do this year. I really love pie! It's hands-down my favorite dessert or sweet treat. This pie has a super creamy and thick homemade chocolate pudding layer topped with a light and fluffy whipped cream layer. Chocolate pudding + whipped cream + crust. Win-win-win!

This is not a complicated pie, but it has a couple steps and requires chilling time, so be sure to plan ahead. You need time for the filling to set and completely chill before serving plus you need to bake the crust ahead of filling because you don't bake the filling at all. I always find that a homemade pie is worth any and all effort in the end though - it's a swoon worthy dessert!


Chocolate cream pie
1 recipe for your favorite pie crust, blind baked (my two favorites: olive oil and lard)
3 large egg yolks
2-1/4 cups whole milk
1-1/4 cups sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 heaped tablespoon powdered sugar
mini semi-sweet chocolate chips or grated chocolate bar, for garnish

In a large saucepan, whisk together the eggs through salt until well-combined. Put the pan on the stove over medium heat, whisking constantly, until hot. When hot, whisk in the cocoa powder. Continue to whisk and heat until the mixture begins to bubble. Turn the heat to low and continue to cook and whisk until thickened, about 10 minutes total. Whisk in the vanilla and remove from the heat.

Pour the chocolate mixture into the pre-baked pie shell (if you can't fit it all in, save it for a pudding cup treat). Spread evenly. Gently place plastic wrap directly on top of the filling and cover the pie completely. Let chill until cold and set, at least 6 hours or overnight. 

Before serving, Beat the heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar with a hand mixer until firm peaks form. Remove the plastic wrap and spread the whipped cream over the pie. Top with chocolate chips/shaved chocolate, if desired. 


What was I cooking one year ago?: Grandma's oatmeal raisin cookies
Two years ago?: warm beets w/ horseradish & dill sour cream 
Three?: chocolate & cherry steel cut oats 
Four?: tarragon chicken 
5?: fish tacos

15 comments:

  1. I adore chocolate cream pie - I had the most wonderful one in Adrian, Texas. I sure would like a slice of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate Cream Pie is one of my all-time favorites, but I've actually never made it myself! My mother-in-law makes an amazing version, so I usually put in a not-so-subtle request for one every few months. =) You may have convinced me to finally give my own homemade version a try - yours looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been dreaming of pie lately too. This chocolate cream pie is gorgeous, and totally worth all the steps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This definitely looks like it's worth the effort! Chocolate cream pie is impossible to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chocolate cream pie is also something I have been wanting to make at home. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cream pies are so great, aren't they? Love their texture. And, of course, their flavor. Particularly when chocolate is involved. ;-) This looks wonderful -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your chocolate cream pie looks very beautiful and totally irresistible, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I have not had chocolate pie for a while...yours sure look delicious Amy...
    Hope you are having a wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow these pictures came out gorgeous! This is one of my favorite pie flavors...you're after my heart today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the plate that's on - I want one...

    Great recipe, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This pie plate is one of my favorite thrift store finds! Thanks!

      Delete
  11. Chocolate cream is a good classic pie!! And yours looks splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm the biggest fan of chocolate cream pie, they are so yummy yummy!!! <3 Agness of Runagnessrun.com.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That pie looks delicious! It would be a lovely one for Easter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!