Thursday, March 12, 2015

Maple walnut cookies


In New York we are finally warming up and people are starting to tap their maple trees! That means maple season is here. That's a big deal around here - we have festivals and a maple weekend to celebrate! My husband needed a sweet treat to take to a meeting recently, so I decided to keep it seasonal and make some cookies featuring maple as a star ingredient. I used this recipe as a guide, but decided to add walnuts as well. I really enjoy the maple-walnut combination and it worked in these cookies. They are soft and sweet, with a touch of crunch from the walnuts and a lovely maple scent. 

Just remember, whenever you are baking or cooking with maple syrup, you want to use the darkest one you can find because it will have the deepest and strongest maple flavor. No fake stuff either! This recipe will make about 3 dozen cookies and are a delicious way to celebrate maple harvest time. 


Maple walnut cookies
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup real maple syrup, preferably Grade B (or the darkest you can find)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1-1/3 cups chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl (or in the bowl of a stand mixer) cream together the butter, brown sugar, egg, maple syrup, and vanilla with a hand mixer until well-combined.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix this into the wet ingredients until combined. Fold in the walnuts until just combined.

Roll the dough one tablespoon at a time into balls and place on the baking sheet, about 1-inch apart from one another. Gently flatten them with your finger tips.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the bottoms are golden and the edges are golden and set. They will look slightly under-baked, but that will keep them soft. Place on a wire rack to cool.

Repeat until all the batter has been used. Store the cookies in an airtight container.

If you are lucky enough to have some maple sugar, feel free to sprinkle some on top of the cookies before baking! 


What was I cooking one year ago?: honey orange sherbet
Two years ago?: Irish soda bread w/ whiskey raisins & caraway
Three?: Irish oaten rolls
Four?: turkey sloppy Joes on cheddar & scallion biscuits
5?: green chile & cheese cornbread

10 comments:

  1. sounds delicious! i wish i had one right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy, I would love to see how a tree is tapped, sounds so interesting. These cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the maple and walnut combination- it's one of my favorites! My cookie jar would be happy to be full of these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE maple walnut. Especially scones, well, until I saw these cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! Can you imagine two of these with vanilla ice cream sandwiched in the middle??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, maple season is indeed starting and I do love cooking and baking with maple syrup - you are right about that dark type, the darker the syrup, the more flavor it will impart to the food you are making. Although I prefer the really light (AA) on my pancakes, waffels, etc. And your wonderful cookies look delicous, stock full of walnuts!
    A really nice and seasonal recipe!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walnuts are my favorite and these cookies look so irresistible to me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love maple syrup! These cookies look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for maple! It's one of my favorite flavors. These cookies sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love maple anything so these sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!