Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Spicy tofu and pinto beans (Sofritas)


So we are not big tofu fans around here. I mean, I just have never really been able to get into it - it's mushy and bland and looks weird. But, this is tofu I can get behind and actually eat on purpose. This is my interpretation of the sofritas burrito filling that's now available at Chipotle. The sauce for this filling is where all the flavor comes from. It's a spicy and flavorful sauce, but once you mix it up with the tofu and beans (and then throw in some rice), it really mellows out. You'll want to adjust the sauce amount to suite your tastes.

We enjoy this filling wrapped up in a burrito shell with rice, avocado, sour cream, and other toppings like cheese, lettuce/cabbage, and quick pickled onions. We also like to use it in burrito bowls (same ingredients minus the shell) and I'm thinking it would be great on some nachos. 


Spicy tofu and pinto beans (Sofritas)
for the sauce:
2 dried ancho chiles
1 chipolte in adobo, plus 1 teaspoon of sauce
3 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon sugar

for the filling:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small white onion, chopped
14 oz. extra firm tofu, well-drained
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cumin
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 can (~15 oz.) pinto beans, drained
handful of cilantro, chopped

Bring a kettle of water to a boil. Place the ancho chiles in a heat-proof bowl. Cover with boiling water and let sit until they rehydrate, about 10 minutes. Take the chiles out of the water (save the water!). Then remove the stems, scrape out the seeds, and place the chiles in a food processor along with the remaining sauce ingredients and 1/4 cup of the chile soaking liquid. Puree until smooth, adding more soaking liquid if needed.

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, until translucent. Add the tofu, breaking apart with a spoon until it is scrambled. Stir in the coriander, cumin, salt and pepper.

Stir in about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the sauce until everything is well-combined. Add the beans and cilantro. Stir and cook until everything is heated through. You can taste and add more sauce if desired, or a touch more soaking liquid if you find it to be too thick. 

Serve as desired with the extra sauce on the side for those who want more kick!


What was I cooking one year ago?: lemon buttermilk pie
Two years ago?: rabbit cacciatore
Three?: pasta with leeks & oyster mushrooms
Four?: maple oatmeal streusel muffins
5?: lemon & vanilla bean sugar cookies

13 comments:

  1. This sounds great! I actually love tofu, but I agree, it can be mushy + unappealing in some forms. It looks awesome like this, though, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge tofu fan, my husband isn't bu t I think with this dish I could convince him otherwise.
    This is so full of flavors, amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love tofu and have been wanting to try the sofritas from chipotle, but haven't because i love their other food choices so much. :) and i don't eat out often. will definitely try this - that sauce looks killer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sauce looks amazing! And because tofu picks up whatever flavors surround it, I can see how it works really well in this dish. Really clever -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just happen to have a can of ancho chili's in my pantry. I bought is as a whim item as things like this are difficult to find in Asia. Now you have given me the perfect recipe and of course will have to make a side of rice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW - I never would have thought to have combined tofu with beans. What an interesting combo, but I have to admit that it's that sauce that really caught my interest. It looks pretty darn awesome!!! Great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to admit, I LOVE the chipotle sofritas...your make-at-home version sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to need a constant supply of this from now on! Burritos, bowls, and nachos every day with this would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love tofu and beans! This looks very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the sofritas mixture so I know I will love this! And I just happen to have tofu in the fridge. I'm not a huge fan, but certain recipes just sing its praises!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son is a big fan of tofu! He would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds so good, I'm always looking for more ideas for tofu!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This dish really sounds good and a healthy meal. I would love to wrap it inside a roti.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!