Thursday, May 7, 2015

Baked cinnamon-orange French toast


Need a little pick-me-up this weekend? Say hello to this baked French toast made with Challah bread, fresh orange juice and zest, and cinnamon. It's a lovely treat for a Saturday or Sunday morning, especially with some bacon and piping hot coffee. I mean, who doesn't love a big weekend breakfast?? We ate this batch of French toast before going out for a nice walk in the woods to see find spring wildflowers and enjoy some warm weather. It was a hearty meal to get us going! Plus, we had some leftovers for the next day.

This French toast is baked in the oven instead of frying it. This allows for more hands-off time in the cooking process and also keeps it a bit lighter. The top of the bread will get all golden and slightly crispy this way. All the better for covering in maple syrup, I say. 


Baked cinnamon-orange French toast
1 loaf day-old Challah bread, ends removed and cut into 1-inch slices (about 8-10 slices)
butter, for greasing
zest of 1 orange
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons brown sugar
dash of sea salt
2 large eggs
1 cup milk

Grease a large (at least 9" x 11") baking dish with butter. Arrange the bread so that the slices are slightly overlapping.

Whisk together all the the remaining ingredients until well-combined. Pour the liquid over the bread, trying to get in-between all the pieces. Gently press down the bread to ensure that the custard mixture has gotten into all of the pieces on both sides. Turn the oven on to 350 degrees and let the pan sit for about 10 minutes to soak up the liquid.

Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until the bread is golden and the custard has been cooked (you'll notice that any on the bottom of the pan will now be solidified and not liquid).

Serve with real male syrup and extra cinnamon and other toppings if desired such as butter or powdered sugar.


What was I cooking one year ago?: Kung Pao chicken
Two years ago?: Mongolian beef & vegetable stir-fry
Three?: stuffed mushroom pasta bake
Four?: salmon & asparagus with creamy tarragon sauce
5?: granola bars

17 comments:

  1. what a delicious version of french toast! i <3 challah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this looks divine! Challah is the BEST for making french toast, and your version looks amazing. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa.. this sounds amazing. I don't make NEARLY enough french toast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember those canned orange cinnamon rolls? I used to be obsessed with those, and the orange flavor in here reminds me of that, but MUCH higher qualify with the real orange juice and orange zest. French toast has always been my favorite fancy breakfast meals, and I bet the use of the challah bread makes this extra rich and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember those! These are just missing some icing :-)

      Delete
  5. Hi Amy, your baked French toast look really good. I need 4 pieces, please. :)) I love the cinnamon fragrant scent, it smell wonderful.

    Have a great week ahead.regards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad loves anything orange so this would be right up his alley. Maybe for Fathers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Baked French Toast is one of my favorites. The orange adds an interesting twist :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I could not resist this delightful twist on French toast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought I had satisfied my brunch cravings this weekend, but apparently not because I am drooling over this!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy, hope you are feeling much better by now - you certainly prepared a wonderful Baked French Bread with delicious flavors - love cinnamon and orange.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice French toast Amy...I like the idea of using the oven instead of pan...and you place the slices so beautifully!
    Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love baked French toast! And it's great when you're serving a crowd. This is such a nice recipe -- cinnamon may be my favorite spice. Good stuff -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Amy,
    Baked French toast looked so yummy .... with a hint of orange flavour. I've not tried baked french toast. Will try this one day. Thanks so much for the sharing ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
  14. French toast brings bake memories for me as a child. I love the smell of it. This version looks really good and I bet the orange flavor made your kitchen smell amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is like a dressed up but still classic version of french toast, and now I'm wishing I had some for the morning!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!