Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Brown sugar roasted rhubarb


I had a few stalks of rhubarb left from making my strawberry-rhubarb crisp tart that I was trying to think of a different way to prepare. I wanted the rhubarb to be left pretty simple so I could really enjoy the tang and sourness of it. I can't get enough rhubarb this year. I have a few more recipe ideas that I want to try, so I'm hoping I can get it at least one more time this year at the farmers' market. Rhubarb is totally inspiring me!

This is hardly a recipe - it contains only three ingredients. However, the rhubarb became so soft and it almost melted in my mouth when I ate it. The warm, sour rhubarb paired so nicely with the cold, sweet vanilla ice cream. I added a couple ginger snaps on the side as well. The roasted rhubarb would also be delicious on yogurt or oatmeal, I think. This recipe will make two servings. For every 1-1/2 cups of rhubarb, I use 1-1/2 teaspoons of coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of light brown sugar. 


Brown sugar roasted rhubarb
3-4 stalks rhubarb, cut into about 1-1/2 to 2-inch pieces (about 1-1/2 cups chopped)
1-1/2 teaspoons refined coconut oil
1 tablespoon light brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Toss together the rhubarb, oil, and brown sugar. Spread into a small baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil. Place in the oven and roast for 8 minutes. 

Remove from the oven, uncover, and gently stir. Place it back in the oven, uncovered, for another 2 minutes, or until it is soft.

Let cool slightly and serve as desired such as with vanilla ice cream.


What was I cooking one year ago?: rhubarb lemonade
Two years ago?: hot & sour rhubarb pork & noodles
Three?: strawberry spoon bread 
Four?: potato & Swiss chard hash w/ eggs 
5?: rhubarb bellinis 

5 comments:

  1. Simple is sometimes the best! This is a lovely dessert, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great dessert! i love the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, what a great use of your remaining rhubarb! It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love rhubarb! Never had it prepared like this, but I soon will -- this is brilliant! Simple is good. ;-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, rhubarb is the best spring vegetable and I love using it for all kinds of desserts - your brown sugar roasted rhubarb sounds delightful!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!