June 12, 2015

Creamy poppy seed dressing


Salad season is upon us! Lots of lettuces and other greens are growing. Chances are if you belong to a CSA, have a garden, or are visiting the farmers' markets, you are experiencing the plentiful greens and other salad fixins. During this time of year, we try to have a dinner salad one night a week, and then for lunch a couple of times. When we have side salads with our meals, our dressing tends to be on the boring side -- just vinegar and extra virgin olive oil for the most part. But, when I make a main course salad, I like to make a tasty homemade dressing to compliment the ingredients. Sweet and creamy poppy seed dressing has always been a favorite of mine, so I figured I was long-past due to make it at home.

I served this dressing with a salad of spinach, green leaf lettuce, strawberries, red onion, feta, and grilled chicken breasts. It went very nicely with the flavors of that salad. The recipe makes about 3/4 cup of dressing and it was just enough for two large dinner salads and two smaller lunch salads the next day. 


Creamy poppy seed dressing
scant 1/4 cup mayonnaise 
2 tablespoons sour cream
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon sugar
3 teaspoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
good pinch of salt, to taste
a few grinds of black pepper, to taste

Whisk together all of the ingredients until well-combined. Add a bit more milk if it is too thick.

Serve immediately over your favorite salad or cover and refrigerate until needed. It will keep in the fridge for several days.


What was I cooking one year ago?:  rhubarb custard pie
Two years ago?: chicken florentine pasta

7 comments:

  1. i love poppyseed dressing but haven't ever made my own. so easy! looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poppyseed dressing is my all-time favorite. My recipe comes from a restaurant where we used to live but now I'm dying to try yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I actually never made poppy seed dressing although I use a lot of them for baking and also for cooking - do not know why - now I have got the inspiration to make some lovely, summery dressing for our salad using poppy seeds!
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's one of my favourite salad dressings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect accompaniment to a delicious salad, rich, creamy and delicious! Have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are all about the dinner salads lately (definitely partly because of the CSA!) and I am always looking for new dressings. This sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a creamy salad dressing! And homemade is so much better than store bought. Will have to try! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!