Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Zucchini garlic alfredo pizza


Lately, I've been a bit obsessed with pizza. We love to have pizza nights and now that I've perfected my crust making skills, we've been trying out all sorts of toppings, sauces, and flavor combinations. Now that zucchini season is here, I wanted to use it on a pizza for something different. Paired with a garlicky alfredo sauce, this pizza is a nice change-up from your regular pizza routine. I know that anyone who grows zucchini or other summer squashes will be up to their ears in them soon so it's always good to have more recipes in your arsenal for using them up! 

This recipe will make enough for two pizzas (about 11-inches). Lately, I've been using this recipe from Lauren's Latest for my pizza dough and always double it so I have some pizza crust in the freezer as well. I also like this recipe for when I want a very thin and quick pizza crust. When I want something a bit different, I turn to pumpkin pizza dough or even pan pizza crust, but for this pizza, I like a regular yeast crust.


Zucchini garlic alfredo pizza
1 recipe for a double pizza crust 
for the sauce:
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
5 cloves garlic, pressed or finely minced
1-1/2 cups milk
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
for topping:  
10 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cups thinly sliced zucchini rounds (I used green & yellow)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
fresh oregano leaves, for garnish
red pepper flakes, optional

While your pizza dough is rising, make the garlic alfredo sauce. In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil and garlic over medium heat. Stir often and cook until just fragrant and softened. Whisk together the milk and flour in a glass measuring cup or bowl and then pour into the pan. Whisk well. Continue to cook and whisk until the sauce thickens, about 7 minutes. When thick, remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper, and whisk in the Parmesan. Set aside.

Roll out your pizza dough and place on a pizza stone dusted with cornmeal or an upside down baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.

Top each pizza with half of the sauce followed by half of the mozzarella, half of the zucchini, and half of the Parmesan. Bake the pizzas one at a time on the bottom rack of the oven for 13-16 minutes, until the crust and cheese are golden. 

Remove from the oven and top with a sprinkling of fresh oregano. Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with red pepper flakes, if desired.


What was I cooking one year ago? cherry cheesecake ice cream 
Two years ago?: chocolate mint chocolate chip ice cream 
Three?: Creole chicken w/ cheddar-scallion grits 
Four?: Korean marinated beef lettuce wraps 
5?: grilled pork & stone fruit w/ balsamic, honey, & black pepper glaze  

10 comments:

  1. We're growing zucchini and squash in our garden, so I'm always looking for new ways to showcase it, and this pizza would be fantastic for that! Definitely trying this soon. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun pizza! Great toppings -- I'll bet the flavor of this is awesome! Good post -- thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great pizza! i think we're going to try grilling pizza this weekend(!!!) so i might steal your topping ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking pizza. I love the zucchini and Alfredo combination. I have zucchini growing in the garden, I will have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got summer squash growing in my garden and can't wait to make this. My mouth is already watering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love zucchini, but have never used them in pizza. It looks great, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these summery toppings! And yes, pizza night is always fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, so nice to have a change-up from the regular tomato sauce (although we love that too) - a nice alfredo sauce and some delightful zucchini and summer squash rounds - that looks like my kind of recipe. I would love to have a taste!
    I do hope that all is well with you and that you are enjoying a wonderful summer - from the look of the foods that you prepared lately, it looks like a delicious summer, to say the least!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. A perfect pizza to enjoy some of summer's bounty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is a new way to use up zucchini AND consume pizza--it's a two-fer! looks delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!