August 3, 2015

Sweet corn chowder


Is everyone enjoying lots of sweet corn right now?!? I was happy to see sweet corn arrived to the farmers' market recently. It's a sure sign that you are at the peak of summer and I think it's something most people look forward to each year. We love to eat sweet corn on its own with some butter and salt, but I also like to make a batch of corn chowder. Surprisingly, I haven't posted my corn chowder recipe on here yet, so it gave me the perfect opportunity to use this fun corn soup bowl. Corn chowder really highlights the sweetness of corn. It's simple in flavors and ingredients to let the corn shine.

This recipe will make enough for about four servings as a main dish. We had our soup for dinner with some garlic bread. It was delicious! It also makes a nice lunch (we will be taking the leftovers to work).


Sweet corn chowder
6 ears sweet corn
2 slices thick-cut bacon
1 medium Vidalia (or other sweet) onion, finely chopped
1 celery rib, halved lengthwise and chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 cups water
1 bay leaf
1 large potato, peeled and diced
3/4 cup half and half
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
dash of hot sauce, optional

Use a sharp knife to cut all the kernels from each ear of corn. Set them aside in a bowl. Then, use the back of your knife and run it down the length of the cobs. This will release a lot of corn juice/starch and kernels pieces. Place this into the bowl with the kernels.

In a soup pot or Dutch oven, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Drain all but about 2 teaspoons of the bacon fat from the pot.

Add the onion and celery to the pot. Stir well and cook until they begin to turn translucent. Stir in the garlic, a good pinch of salt, and a few grinds of black pepper. Let cook for about 1 minute.

Stir in the water, bay leaf, corn, and potato. Whisk the flour into the half and half and then whisk it into the soup. Let the soup come to a low boil, stirring often. Reduce to a simmer and let cook, stirring occasionally, until the corn and potatoes are soft and the soup is thickened, about 15 minutes.

Crumble or dice the bacon and stir it into the soup, reserving a few pieces to garnish each bowl. Season the soup with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the parsley and remove the bay leaf. Add a dash or so of hot sauce, if desired.

Serve hot topped with reserved bacon, additional parsley, and your favorite hot sauce, if desired.


What was I cooking one year ago?: blueberry pie 
Two years ago?: lemon-zucchini cornmeal cookies 
Three?: tomato-Parmesan buttermilk biscuits 
Four?: roasted salsa verde 
5?: spicy eggplant & Thai basil stir-fry 

20 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, your healthy chowder look awesome. Love the cute corn shape mug. :))
    Thanks for sharing.

    Have a nice day,regards.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corn chowder is one of my all-time favorite foods. I loved it as a picky child, and I still love it as a non-picky adult. Perfection! And yours is so cute in the corn mug -- I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love summer corn and this chowder looks delicious!! Take care Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't remember when I last had some corn chowder. This looks so delicious and I love that cute corn mug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore corn in the summertime Amy, and I think a bowl of Corn Chowder sounds absolutely heavenly. Nicely done! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are loving the sweet corn this year and having it every chance we get. Corn chowder is always a win and yours looks delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to make a trip to the Farmers Market today and hope to pick up some freshly picked corn! I would love to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love fresh corn season! And a good bowl of corn chowder is something I look forward to every year. Yours looks fantastic! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! I love sweet corn in the summer! This chowder looks to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to make a summer corn chowder regularly!!! And now your tempting version has made me realize I need to make some soon. Terrific recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't gotten my annual corn chowder fix yet....definitely next week! Love this hearty recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bowl is gorgeous and I love sweet corn chowder. I can't wait for winter to be over so we can have this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello fellow corn chowder lover! We should all eat it from that cute mug-bowl! Delicious Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello fellow corn chowder lover! We should all eat it from that cute mug-bowl! Delicious Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Normally I do not crave soup during the summer. But as I sit here, freezing at my desk at work, I could go for a big bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sweet corn chowder looks amazing! I love finding ways to use up all the fresh corn at farmers markets or on sale at the grocery store this time of year! My husband will appreciate the bacon in this too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Corn chowder is delicious, and never better than August when the corn is perfect. What a great way to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't stand canned corn, but absolutely love fresh corn-on-the-cob. I look forward to it every summer. Your recipe is similar to mine, except I've never added celery before. I'll have to try that, next time I make a batch. I love your soup mug! Where did you get it? Oh, and I PINed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi April! Thank you! My mom had these bowls/mugs forever and I took them when she was getting rid of them. There's a set of 4 and I found them here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vegetable-Shaped-Soup-Coffee-Mug-Cup-Bowls-set-of-4-/142444003852?hash=item212a53020c:g:tDgAAOSwTVtZZtZj

      Delete
  19. NO! and I'm sad about this fact. We're so far away most sweet corn loses it's sweet and turns to starch by the time it gets here.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!