Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Pumpkin oatmeal pancakes {for two}


Pancakes are kind of a thing on this blog... Mainly because I love them. I've posted my recipe for pumpkin pancakes in the past - like, way in the past, before I had a decent camera and stuff like that... They are delicious, but this time I was looking for something a little more hearty and decided that pumpkin pancakes + oatmeal were the ticket to a delicious autumn breakfast. I know people get a little pumpkin crazy this time of year, but that's okay with me. I adore pumpkin, spices, and winter squash of all kinds.

This recipe makes about 7 pancakes so it's the perfect amount for two hungry adults. My husband and I ate them all up on our day off when we were having a leisurely morning. These pancakes, plus some nice sage-filled breakfast sausages, plus a hot cup of coffee on a cool fall morning = happiness. 


Pumpkin oatmeal pancakes {for two}
1/2 cup quick oats
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves + pinch of ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 large egg
1 packed tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
butter, for cooking
lightly toasted walnuts, for serving, optional
real maple syrup, for serving

In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (oats through salt). In a smaller bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (pumpkin through milk) until smooth. Then use a wooden spoon to stir the wet mixture into the dry mixture until just combined. Let sit for 5 minutes.

Heat a griddle pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Grease with butter and then add the batter using 1/4 cup for each pancake. When the pancakes begin to bubble and are golden, flip and cook until they are cooked through. Repeat until all the batter is used. 

Serve hot topped with extra cinnamon, toasted walnuts, and/or maple syrup, if desired. 


What was I cooking one year ago?: chicken & apple Indian curry
Two years ago?: Hungarian mushroom soup
Three?: Salisbury steak w/ red wine-mushroom sauce
Four?: buckwheat pancakes
5?: spiced pickled grapes

8 comments:

  1. I love oat pancakes (I've made a banana version) and I love pumpkin pancakes, but I don't think I've ever tried the two combined. These sound amazing - will definitely be giving these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are really fluffy and soft. I would love some pancakes for the dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pumpkin!! I could probably eat all of them myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great way to use pumpkin, what a nice idea for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that this makes only 7! I tend to not make pancakes since they so often make sooo much and it's just the two of us!! And yay pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love adding oatmeal to pancakes but have never used pumpkin. These are the perfect fall pancakes. Need to pick me up a pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, a wonderful fall treat with so many delicious ingredients that I love - perfect comfort food! And the added oatmeal sounds like a great addition to the pancake recipe! Healthy and really good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great for a Fall breakfast and I love how they are for two.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!