October 22, 2015

Apple fritters

Glazed apple fritters on parchment paper.

Apple fritters have long been one of my favorite doughnuts (just behind the peanut stick really). I will admit though that we rarely eat doughnuts and through my whole life they were more of a treat than a regular thing (and that's probably a good thing and how it should be). In my quest to try and make more apple recipes though, fritters have been on that list for a while now. Now I can happily check them off! Apple picking always inspires me to use apples in new ways each autumn. Golden fritters that are crisp on the outside and soft on the inside and filled with fresh apple chunks, apple cider, spices, and then topped with an apple cider-spiced glaze. I mean, come on! Who can resist??!! I made these fritters on a Sunday night to eat while we watched some Halloween specials. They were a perfect treat with a cup of decaf coffee!

Apples on an apple tree.

I slightly adapted these from a recipe I found over at The Pajama Chef. I made a few minor changes and my batch ended up making 10 fritters. One big change I made was cutting back on the glaze -- I think there was still more than enough. Apple fritters aren't the most pretty thing to look at or photograph, but they are super tasty!! These fritters are best enjoyed on the first day. Leftovers can be kept in an airtight container, but they won't be as crisp the next day. 

Inside of an apple fritter.

Apple fritters
2 medium tart, crisp apples (such as Granny Smith), peeled, cored, and diced into 1/4-inch pieces
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
3/4 cup apple cider
2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 cups cooking oil (canola, vegetable, etc.)

for the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
good pinch of ground allspice
about 3 tablespoons apple cider

Place the apples in a single layer on a tea towel or a couple layers of paper towels. Cover with another tea towel (or couple paper) and gently press to remove some of the moisture. Let sit.

Line a baking sheet with paper towels and place a wire cooling rack on top. Set aside.

In a large bowl whisk together the flour through allspice. 

In a glass measuring cup (or small bowl), whisk together the cider through vanilla. 

Stir the apples into the flour mixture. Slowly pour in the apple cider mixture while stirring until well-combined. 

Heat the oil in a Dutch oven until it reaches 350 degrees. Drop the batter 1/3 cup at a time into the oil. Gently press the batter down to flatten, if needed. Let cook until golden (about 2-3 minutes), then flip with a slotted spoon and cook until the second side is golden (another 2-3 minutes). I cooked three fritters per batch. When cooked, remove with a slotted spoon and place on the prepared cooling rack. Repeat when the oil is back to temperature (keep an eye to not let it get too hot or cool) until all the batter is used.

Whisk the powdered sugar and spices together in a small bowl. Stir in the cider 1 tablespoon at a time until the glaze reaches the proper consistency (it was 3 tablespoons for me, you want it to pour nicely, but still stick). When the fritters have cooled for about 10 minutes, top each with a couple spoons of the glaze. Let the glaze set. Then eat and enjoy!

Finished glazed apple fritters.

What was I cooking one year ago?: green tea jelly
Two years ago?: salsa verde (canning recipe)
Three?: German sweet & sour red cabbage
Four?: brown sugar & cinnamon baked acorn squash
5?: butternut squash, cauliflower, & potato curry

12 comments:

  1. I am almost taste this through the screen. It sounds like the perfect treat for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could reach in and grab one to try, Amy. They look really great for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so glad you tried these, amy!! i had kinda forgotten about them, but now i can't get them out of my head!! i might make a batch this weekend. :) mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apple fritters are my absolute favorite donut! And the only one where my willpower falls to pieces! Yours look wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apple fritters are one of my favorite things on Earth! They're so wonderful fresh! I'm so jealous you made them - they look awesome Amy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any, these fritters looks no nice, crispy and delish. I wish I could have 5-6 of these right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Amy, apple fritters are utterly delicious in fall and yours look like a wonderful treat. In fact, apple fritters are very popular around here - but they look a bit different, they are more like apple rings dipped in batter and then fried - dusted with a bit of confectioners´ sugar just before serving. Would love to try your version though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has been just so long since I've had apple fritters! These sound absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love fall for all the apple recipes I want to try! Your fritters look spectacular and would make a wonderful treat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. if i have the option of picking any kind of donut from a smorgasbord of donuts, i'm going with the apple fritter every time! excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see the word "fritter" and I come a running. I could eat a dozen of these apple fritters. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on the feature at Foodie Friday. Your apple fritters look great.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!