Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Greek yogurt football brownies


It's football season and that means it's time for tailgating and game-day eats. Full disclosure, I'm not a huge football fan, but my husband and a lot of our friends and family are big sports fans. I prefer to supply and eat the goodies! While you are out there tailgating with your friends before the big game, don't forget to include something sweet to end your feast. These fudgy brownies are made with Chobani Greek yogurt so they are a slightly lighter treat to indulge in. Greek yogurt provides the brownies with a nice dense and fudge-like texture without the eggs and butter in most brownie recipes. I used non-fat yogurt and you can't tell at all. The yogurt gives these brownies a distinctive and pleasant tang that compliments the sweetness well. 

This recipe will make about 10 football-shaped brownies (and you'll have plenty of scrap pieces to nibble on while you are decorating them). These are a perfect little treat for your next tailgate or game-day gathering and everyone will love their fun football shape! 


Greek yogurt football brownies 
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons refined coconut oil
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup lightly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup white chocolate chips 


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 11"x7" baking dish with parchment paper so that it overhangs one side of the pan.

Melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips and coconut oil together in a small dish in the microwave cooking for 30 seconds at a time and then stirring until smooth (alternatively you can use a small saucepan on the stove over very low heat). Set aside to cool slightly.

Whisk together the flour through sugar in a large bowl until no sugar lumps remain. 

Stir the vanilla and yogurt into the chocolate. Then stir the mixture into the dry ingredients until combined (the batter will be thick). Spread evenly into the prepared baking dish. 

Bake for approximately 25 minutes, just until the middle is set. Let cool completely.

When cool cut into football shapes using a butter knife. I was able to get 10 footballs, about 2.5 inches long each. 

Melt the white chocolate in the microwave or in a small pan until just melted. Using a chopstick, decorate each brownie to look like a football as in the photos. Let the white chocolate dry completely. Then store in an airtight container and take to your tailgate to enjoy!

Disclosure: Chobani provided me with the yogurt as part of their tailgating recipes #MadewithChobani promotion. However; as always, all opinions are my own. Check out their recipes section for more ideas on how to incorporate Greek yogurt in your cooking. 



What was I cooking one year ago?: applesauce oatmeal bread
Two years ago?: hot German potato salad 
Three?: brown butter blondies w/ apples, pecans, & white chocolate 
Four?: brown sugar & cinnamon baked acorn squash 
5?: beef & Guinness pie

12 comments:

  1. Fun and delicious! I love those creative football brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, these are SO cute! I will absolutely have to make these on one of these football Sundays -- my husband loves brownies, so he'd dig 'em, and my daughter would be really tickled by the football shape. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great looking brownies, I love the idea of using Greek yogurt instead of eggs and sugar. These are so cute :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute are these?! So much fun!
    I love using Greek yoghurt in my brownies, it just makes them so much lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've gotta try yogurt in brownies...so moist! Love the football theme - they are perfect and bound to go fast on game day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH. MY. GOSH. These brownies look so adorable and delicious. Love how perfectly you crafted these. And addition of greek yogurt is so YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What cute brownies! Perfect for football season! Love the idea of using Greek yogurt, too -- that's inspired. These look wonderful -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is cool that you used yogurt to make brownies! These look fun and cute! Definitely great snacks for watching sports!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Amy, I absolutely adore your football-themed brownies - what a great idea for a kids´ party as well! The fact that you used low-fat Greek yoghurt in these must make them dense and extra moist, just wonderful! I shall keep this lovely recipe in mind for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love game day food!! I don't watch the games, but am all about the food :) These are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, those look so cute and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are absolutely adorable! I love how you used Chobani ~ a local product yay! We go through vast amounts of Frank's for that same reason. Although my husband and I saw 2 guys who we'll just call dumb and dumber at the grocery store arguing about the price increase of Frank's hot sauce. We could not stop laughing! They vow to switch! Adorable footballs. I keep saying I'm going to make homemade brownies so I need to get on this!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!