October 19, 2015

Mulligatawny soup


Mulligatawny soup is something I've been intrigued about since the Soup Nazi episode of Seinfeld many years ago. I recently decided it was time to do a little research and give this intriguing sounding soup a try. I learned that Mulligatawny is an English soup based on an Indian soup. I read a lot of recipes and not one was the same... some used chicken, some used lentils, some used cream, some used coconut milk... but a lot of the basics were the same - onions, carrots, celery, apples, curry powder, bay, and something creamy. 

The soup turned our terrific. My only complaint is that it was terrible to photograph. All the apples floated to the top and all the other stuff fell to the bottom. So, it just looks like a curry broth of apples! But trust me, there are a lot of other goodies hiding and swimming below the rich curried broth. This is a soup absolutely fit for a chilly fall or winter evening. It will serve about four people.


Mulligatawny soup
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 bay leaves
about 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 cups chicken stock
1 can (13-14 oz.) coconut milk
1/3 cup Basmati rice
1 large tart apple, cored and chopped
juice of 1/2 a lemon

In a large soup/stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When warm, stir in the onion, carrots, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften. Stir in the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Stir in the red pepper flakes, curry powder, and bay leaves.

Push the vegetables off to the side of the pot and add the chicken. Season well with salt and pepper. Cook until the chicken is browned and then turn and cook until the second side is browned. Then stir in the stock and coconut milk. Let the soup come to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. 

Remove the chicken to a cutting board to cool a bit. Stir the Basmati rice into the soup. Shred the chicken and return it to the pot along with the apple. Continue to simmer the soup, uncovered, until the apple is softened and the rice is cooked. Season with salt and pepper, if needed, and remove the bay leaves. Stir in the lemon juice just before serving.


What was I cooking one year ago?: honey-sesame cashews
Two years ago?: Slow cooker sticky Asian w/ sesame savoy cabbage
Three?: apple-turkey burgers w/ cranberry-apple relish
Four?: apple crumb tart
5?: pear, blue cheese, & arugula-stuffed chicken

13 comments:

  1. This multigrain soup looks wonderful – I love the ingredients you brought together. So comfy and so delish. My husband would love this! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds perfect for a meal on a chilly day! This is one soup I've never tasted, so thanks for doing the leg work on finding a wonderful recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy, I just watched Seinfeld tonight, some things just never get old, love, love this soup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!!! I totally forgot about the Soup Nazi's Mulligatawny Soup - what a fun inspiration! The soup looks fabulous - I've never had it before and I might just have to try it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a soup I have always been intrigued by but never made as well. I love the curry, coconut, savory flavors in it. I might have to try now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many delicious flavors. I have never tried this soup before but I can't wait to try it. Fall all wrapped up in a delicious bowl of wonderfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Mulligatawny soup! I always order it from my local indian restaurant, and it's perfectly comforting and warming. =) Your version looks so fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Mulligatawny Soup. Or I should says soups -- you're right, there seem to be a zillion variations, and they're all good. This is terrific -- thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhhh the soup Nazi!!! Brings back great memories! I love that show. I have never tried Mulligatawny soup before and that needs to change!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's funny, because I've always been curious about this soup, too! So glad you tried it. Now I must!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks delicious!! I must try this:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just like Ashley, I thought about the Soup Nazi!! Looks like a delicious soup!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks so yummy! I have never had Mulligatawny soup before, but I totally need to make this! PINNED!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!