Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Skillet tamale pie


Well readers, here I am with another pie recipe. I really overshot the idea of actually making (and consuming?!) 25 pies this year, but I'm thinking that I'll get to 15 so I guess that will be good enough for me. Sure, this isn't a traditional pie with a full crust, but it counts! This is a main dish pie that's perfect for a hearty cold-weather dinner. Tex-Mex food is where it's at for me. I've always loved it and we eat it quite frequently. I've never met anyone who doesn't love it. This tamale pie has a chili-like filling that is topped with a lightly sweetened cornbread and then baked until golden and bubbly. It's sure to be a hit in your house!

Last week I was featured in The Public, Buffalo's alternative newspaper as the Buffalo Chowhounds of Instagram of the Week. You can read the article here and come follow me on Instagram if you aren't already @savory_moments.  I haven't been on Instagram for all that long yet and would love to find more people to follow. Thank you! 


Skillet tamale pie
1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 garlic clove, minced
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 can (~15 oz.) crushed tomatoes
1 can (~15 oz.) pinto beans, drained
1/3 cup sliced black olives
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce    
1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish, optional
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
for the topping: 
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
2/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon olive oil 
sour cream, for serving

In a 9-10 inch cast-iron skillet, cook the ground beef, onion, peppers, and garlic over medium heat until the beef is cooked through. Drain and return to the skillet. Stir in salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, coriander, crushed tomatoes, pinto beans, olive, and Worcestershire. Stir well and heat until hot.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and olive oil. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined.

Sprinkle the cheddar over the filling mixture. Then spread the cornbread mixture evenly over the top.

Bake until the cornbread is golden and cooked through, about 20 minutes. Let sit for about 5 minutes before slicing. Garnish with extra cilantro, if desired. Serve with sour cream.


What was I cooking one year ago?: butternut squash & cranberry pancakes
Two years ago?: Chorizo & black bean-stuffed delicata squash boats 
Three years ago?: smoked paprika & maple glazed delicata squash 
Four?: pumpkin gnocchi in Gorgonzola sauce 
5?: Moroccan spiced chickpea & lentil soup 

18 comments:

  1. I think I can even enjoy this pie as breakfast! It looks fantastic, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can never have too much pie! I love all the flavours in this, especially with the cumin and jalapeno.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heck, this counts a pie for me! And always counts as delicious -- love the idea of this! Easy and flavorful -- who can beat that? Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, your tamale pie looks amazing! I make a tamale pie, but it's pretty different, with shredded chicken as its protein. I actually like the look of yours even better! =) Great pie to keep working on your pies challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I just love this idea and love meals in a skillet like this. Wow lots a pies for a year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Tamale Pie looks incredible. I always love cooking in my cast iron skillet! Congratulations on getting your Instagram account featured. I enjoy following you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like another great pie! and well done on being featured in the local paper. I think you have achieved a lot doing so many pies already :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a fun spin on pie! We love anything mexican flavored at our house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, this looks delicious! I would be a hit at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great looking dish! Love all the flavor combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is comforting, warming, perfect cold weather food. I LOVE that the topping is basically cornbread. My husband would love this dish, and I would too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum - I love a tamale pie - yours looks delicious! Congrats on being featured in "The Public"! It's a fabulous write up on you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all of your pie recipes! I wish I was as good as making them as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So perfect recipe for lunch! Love this recipe! So delicious. Lisa @ Myfancybathroom

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is my fiances most-requested supper, and fortunately, i love it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on the article! This tamale pie sounds so flavorful I know we'd love it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!