Thursday, December 24, 2015

25 Pies in 2015 - A Review


If you saw my last pie post, you saw that I was lamenting a bit about not completing my 25 Pies in 2015 Challenge that I set for myself. But, I've accepted that 25 pies in one year was perhaps a little too much for both my baking time and our waistlines! (I do usually try to reserve sweet pies for when we are having company.) That all being said, I still managed to make and post 15 pies this year - both sweet and savory. Let's take a look at them!


Savory Onion Pie: This pie came from an old Colonial Cookbook. It's similar to a quiche, but the eggs aren't the star of this pie - it's all about the 2 lbs. of caramelized onions (and bacon).

Chicken & Biscuit Skillet Pie: This pie is cold weather comfort food - a hearty chicken and vegetable pot pie topped with a flaky and buttery biscuit crust. 

Thick & Chewy Pan Pizza: This pizza pie is cooked in a cast-iron skillet and has a thick and chewy crust. It's delicious and similar to one from a famous pizza chain.


Chocolate Cream Pie: An old-fashioned pie made from scratch with a thick and creamy chocolate pudding layer topped with a homemade whipped cream. A delicious treat! 


Silky Peanut Butter Pie: Who doesn't love chocolate + peanut butter? This pie has a creamy peanut butter filling in a chocolate cookie crust - perfect! 


Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp Tart: A classic combination of strawberry and rhubarb topped with a crisp topping and baked until golden and bubbly. A lovely late spring/early summer dessert. 


Fresh Strawberry Pie: This pie is one I had been wanting to make for a few years. This challenge finally gave me the opportunity to give it a try. It's bursting with strawberry flavor. Perfect for summer! 

Old-fashioned Vinegar Pie: Another pie that I had on my "to-make" list for quite a long time. It was delicious! I highly recommend giving this old-fashioned treat a try.


Southern Tomato Pie: Another savory pie that is a perfect summertime main dish when your garden is overflowing with fresh, ripe, delicious tomatoes. 


Pawpaw Cream Tart: Pawpaws are one of our favorite fall treats and this was the first time I used them cooked in a recipe. It was wonderful! 


Bacon Cheeseburger Pie: Just looking at these photos makes my stomach growl. This pie was probably one of my favorite things I made in 2015. A bacon cheeseburger in a pie shell. So, so yummy!

Cranberry Apple Pie: I love the combination of sweet apples and tart cranberries in this pie. It was a terrific way to use up some of our apples from our annual apple picking trip. 


Skillet Tamale Pie: Another savory main dish pie, this pie has a Tex-Mex chili-like filling topped with a lightly sweetened cornbread. It was a hit! 


Shoofly Pie: This pie has been on my "to-make" list since we visited Lancaster, PA in 2007. I am so glad I finally gave it a try. It was a huge Thanksgiving dinner win with our family! 


Eggnog Pudding Pie: Last but not least, an easy and tasty pie for your holiday celebrations! 

I hope that you've enjoyed all these 15 (not 25) Pies in 2015. I know that I've enjoyed making (and eating) them and bettering my crust making and pie baking skills. I'm sure there will be a lot of pie making in my future!

6 comments:

  1. 15 pies..what an achievement!
    Happy Holidays, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your savory pies are what talk to me the most. Wishing you all the best during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I still think that 15 pies in one year is amazing, and I love looking through this summary. So many great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I'd like to try them all... but I really am seeing hearts with that Chocolate Cream Pie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Amy, I love your pie challenge and I certainly enjoy your nice review - for some reason I would definitely enjoy a slice of that strawberry rhubarb crisp pie right now - although this is not the season for either strawberries or rhubarb but I always loved that combination and after all that seasonal chocolate, this pie sounds utterly appealing to me today! Although, of course, all your pies look fabulous!
    Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and wishing you and yours a very Happy New Year!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!