Thursday, December 31, 2015

A look back at 2015

2015 has been a great year for us overall. It's the year my husband got a terrific new job and the year we bought our first house. It's been the year where I've attempted to perfect my pie making skills. I still haven't run out of recipes to make and create, which is a great thing because it's what keeps this blog going. As always, I'm so happy to be part of the terrific food blogging community. I love learning from all of you, reading your posts, reading your comments, and sharing in our love of cooking. I hope all of you had a wonderful year and wish you all the best in 2016!

Now, let's take a look back at my favorite recipe from each month of the year and then my husband will do his picks! I always like to see if we pick the same favorites or not.

Happy New Year!
January
Chinese Kabocha Squash & Sesame Pancakes: These little kabocha squash pancake appetizers were a favorite of mine. Not only were they delicious, they were something completely new for me to make.


February
Ham, Bean, & Rivel Soup: This childhood favorite definitely had to make my list. This recipe is slightly adapted from a family recipe that I always loved as a kid. A simple, humble, but very tasty and comforting soup. 

March
Chocolate Cream Pie: Always a favorite of mine, this from-scratch recipe is an old-fashioned dessert sure to please everyone. I loved this pie with its smooth chocolate filling. 

April
Smoked White Fish Chowder: I had to pick this chowder because just looking at the photos made me feel warm and cozy. This chowder is creamy and delicious and perfect for a cold rainy day.

May
Baked Cinnamon-Orange French Toast: May was a low post month for me, but this French Toast still stands out. It's easy and flavorful. Instead of frying each piece, it's baked in the oven for a lighter French toast.

June
Fresh Strawberry Pie: I love strawberries and I love pie, so this was a big winner for me this year! Fresh strawberries are the star of this bright summer pie and it's a pie everyone needs to try. 

July
Grandpa's Hot Dog Sauce: This recipe wins July because it's a recipe we found in a cookbook that belonged to my husband's grandfather. It was a delicious summer treat, plus one of those family recipes that brings back memories. 

August
Deli-Style Refrigerator Dill Pickles: These are the BEST pickles I've ever had. I am a hardcore pickle fan, so that's saying a lot. I couldn't get enough of these tasty, crunchy, and delicious pickles this summer! 

September
Chorizo & Rice Stuffed Peppers w/ Spicy Tomato Sauce: This Tex-Mex twist on the classic stuffed peppers is a recipe win! I loved these flavorful peppers with this spicy tomato sauce. 

October
Apple Fritters: These apple fritters were my favorite recipe of October, but also a favorite of all of 2015. It was my first time making donuts and they were scrumptious! Filled with fresh apple chunks and autumn spices and then topped with an apple cider glaze they are a perfect fall treat! 

November
Bacon Cheeseburger Pie: I know it sounds weird, but trust me, it works! This recipe is fantastic and is sure to be a hit with the whole family. Don't skimp on the pickles. They take the cheeseburger flavor over-the-top! 

December
Shoofly Pie: This recipe was a big winner at out Thanksgiving table this year. People were still talking about how much they loved it at Christmas. It's going to become a holiday regular for us. This delicious old-fashioned pie is a definite must-try! 

Now it's time for my husband's picks (AKA the official taste-tester of all my food)!

February: Orange Chicken
March: Thick & Chewy Pan Pizza (this was a close second for me) 
October: Paw Paw Cream Tart 
December: Shoofly Pie 

We had quite a few overlapping favorites this year!

Check out previous years' favorites here: 2014, 2013, 2012, and 2011 (I didn't do these previous to this).

10 comments:

  1. So many great recipes! I think the shoofly pie is at the top of my must-make list. It looks delicious! Wishing many more good things (and recipes) for you in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this! It's interesting seeing you and your husbands favorites from the past year. I'm definitely trying the pickles - I love quick pickles! Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy, Happy New year to you and wish you all the best in 2016. Thank you for sharing all your wonderful and interesting recipes with us. Keep up the good job, looking forward to your 2016 postings.

    Best regards,
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out of all the favorites the two of you chose, I'd pick the hot dog sauce as well. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had a really yummy year, Amy. Those stuffed peppers are my favourite.
    Have a wonderful 2016!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year! I love looking back at the year and all the delicious food I have been eating. It looks like you have had some great food this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year! These dishes look wonderful! As someone who lately eats kabocha squash nonstop, I am very excited to see that first recipe. Here's to lots of great eats in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 2016! You had some amazing recipes in 2015, and I love seeing your favorites from each month. I've always suspected we've had similar taste buds, but now I KNOW it because all of these look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a variety of recipes Amy! There's something for everyone and all delicious. Wishing you the best in 2016 and looking forward to seeing your recipes!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!