Monday, January 18, 2016

Banana chocolate chip cake {Secret Recipe Club}


I'm super excited because this is my first time participating in the Secret Recipe Club! It's something I've seen other blogger friends doing for a while and always thought would be fun, so I finally joined! I was assigned to Join Us, Pull Up a Chair for this month. This blog was new to me so I was excited to check it out! I was originally planning to make a savory main dish recipe, but kept finding myself going back to her desserts... Since I didn't get a chance to make holiday treats this year with our move, I think I've been missing having homemade sweets around lately. I was going back and forth between this Banana Chocolate Chip Cake and this Cranberry Upside Down Cake (next time!) among others. I decided on the banana cake and I'm glad I did - it turned out delicious! The cake is so moist and the sugar topping gives it a nice crunch. We definitely enjoyed this cake and I enjoyed browsing around a new blog!


Banana chocolate chip cake
3 very ripe bananas
2 large eggs
1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup mini (I used regular) semi-sweet chocolate chips
for the topping:
3 tablespoons graulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray or grease an 8-inch baking pan. 

In a medium mixing bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined. Stir in the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and sugar. Stir in 3/4 cup chocolate chips until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.

In a small bowl, stir together the topping ingredients. Sprinkle evenly over the batter and top with the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes before cutting.


What was I cooking one year ago?: savory onion pie
Two years ago?: carnitas 
Three years ago?: Italian spaghetti squash bake 
Four?: hot & sour chicken cabbage & rice soup
Five?: skillet pasta puttanesca 
6?: Matcha tea leaf shortbread cookies 

22 comments:

  1. I always love the combo of banana and chocolate. A great cake, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the club! You have a lovely blog, I enjoyed perusing all your posts! Your banana chocolate chip cake looks like the perfect afternoon snack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the club! Your banana chocolate chip cake looks wonderful and I can't think of a better way to start things off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. welcome to src and group c! this cake sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOOH! That cake looks scrumptious.

    Welcome to SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the kind words and I'm so glad you enjoyed the cake! The sugar crust is the best part. So glad to have you part of the SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the banana/chocolate combo, and I bet that cinnamon sugar topping set it off perfectly. Welcome to the club Amy, I look forward to seeing more of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that's a banana recipe that doesn't pretend to be a bread. But I'd still eat it for breakfast. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy, sounds like you joined a fabulous blogger group and your choice of making the Banana Bread recipe looks like it was a true winner. It looks absolutely fabulous. A great fuss-free recipe to whip up for the kids in the afternoon!
    Thank you for sharing!
    And I do hope that your move went as smoothly as possible and that you and your family had a great start to the new year!!!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum. This sounds wonderful! chocolate and banana...perfect combo. Fellow group C'er

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just looking at another post for this club. Clearly, it's a great idea when it results in swapping delicious recipes. I love a banana chocolate chip cake/bread! Good pick.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Amy, sounds like a fun group, love this cake, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We always have bananas and chocolate chips on hand! So we're all set to make this. :-) We're snowed in today, so the timing is perfect. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is temptation pure: chocolate and bananas in one delicious single treat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum - this looks wonderful! I love banana cakes, breads - I love banana in all forms except straight from the peel. It's a texture thing, lol. The club sounds like lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This combines everything I love about banana bread and cake into one! The crunch on top sounds fantastic too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can never figure out why the combination of bananas and chocolate is so scrumptious, just is! Adore this cake, looks like a fun baking activity. Hmmm. We're both from Buffalo, both have blogs and I just realized leaving my um, specialized doctors office today and checking out their Facebook page that we have something else likely in common. I have a love hate relationship with that place. 2 years and still going strong =) Hope the end is near though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This cake sounds so good. It would be perfect with a cup of tea! Love the mix of banana and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Amy,
    I know banana & chocolate chips pair well in bakes or dessert. Yummilicious cake to enjoy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A great selection of recipes and your chocolate banana bread is right up my street!

    ReplyDelete
  21. All those sound so good I would of had a hard time choosing! I do love chocolate with banana - this looks delicious Amy! Hope you're getting settled in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bananas and chocolate are a good match, I can see why you decided on this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!