Monday, February 15, 2016

Apple cornmeal muffins {Secret Recipe Club}


I was super excited to see that I was assigned Living the Gourmet for this month's Secret Recipe Club! I have followed this blog for quite a while now and I knew I'd have a hard time picking just one recipe I wanted to try. Catherine and Tammy always post such lovely and tasty recipes. When it came down to a final selection, I chose these Apple Cornmeal Muffins because we've been having negative wind chills here recently -- I wanted a warm and cozy baking recipe that was perfect for breakfast and snacking with coffee and tea. 

I liked that these muffins were low in sugar which also made them nice for breakfast. They turned out lovely and were a definite hit (plus we can never resist anything with a streusel on top)! This recipe will make a dozen muffins. Check out the links below to see more recipes from The Secret Recipe Club.


Apple cornmeal muffins
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1 cup cornmeal sifted
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup almond milk (I used regular milk)
1/4 cup unsalted butter, gently melted
1 apple, peeled and diced
for the topping:
1/4 cup oats
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3-4 pats cold unsalted butter, diced

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin tin, or line with muffin papers.

Whisk together all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl (flour through salt). Put a well in the center and add the eggs, milk, and butter. Stir gently until just combined and then gently stir in the apple. Do not beat the batter.

Evenly distribute the batter into the muffin pan.

Combine the topping ingredients into a small bowl and mix with a fork or your fingers to a crumbly consistency. Evenly top each of the muffins.

Bake for 15-20 minutes. Let cool before serving.


What was I cooking one year ago?: ham, bean, & rivel soup
Two years ago?: Cajun chicken & pepper pasta
Three years ago?: carrot-ginger soup
Four?: Kao soi
Five?: eggplant involtini
6?: beef stroganoff
 

26 comments:

  1. I never would have thought of adding a strudel topping to cornmeal muffins. But now that I see it, it makes perfect sense. They sound and look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect looking muffins! I've been wanting to bake something sweet using cornmeal for a long time, I have to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Negative temperatures!! I'd need something cozy to eat too! We love cornbread and apple crisp around here--I love that this recipe combines the two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! These muffins look so good and I love the topping. Great SRC recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look delicious! I love esp. that buttery crisp topping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, will someone slap my hand when I start to pick the topping off those muffins? So self-control! None

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made crumb topped muffins yesterday morning! Love how these have cornmeal and aren't too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! I like the addition of cornmeal and oats in bakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! I like the addition of cornmeal and oats in bakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! These muffins look so delish. Apple and cornmeal sounds like a killer combo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Amy, love that these are topped with strudel, my big weakness. They look perfectly baked. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Amy, I am so pleased you chose these apple cornmeal muffins..they were a hit and well received. Yours look absolutely splendid. They are quite wonderful in the morning with tea. Thank you for your kind words dear. Stay warm! xoxo, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've not thought to combine apple and corn muffins, that might make me like corn bread.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Muffins are such a great and simple way to start the day. Love the cornmeal in these!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm,strudel! I can't resist! But then, who could? :-) Great looking muffins -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look wonderful, Amy. I get in baking frenzies during these bitter cold months - gotta stay warm somehow :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. These muffins look so lovely ♥

    summerdaisy.net

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a delicious looking muffin. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amy, another fabulous recipe for the Secret Recipe Club - the combination of apples and cornmeal in these muffins sounds wonderful and utterly delicious!
    Have a lovely weekend,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, these look perfect! I bet they smelled amazing while they were baking - I can practically smell and taste them myself! A perfect choice for this month's chilly SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Apple muffins are divine! You've reminded me that I haven't made apple muffins in a while - I'll have to change that, soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such an interesting combo. Will have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The muffins look delicious. I love apples in muffins.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!