Monday, April 18, 2016

Buffalo chicken burgers {Secret Recipe Club}


It's time for April's Secret Recipe Club Reveal. This month I was assigned to make a recipe from The Avid Appetite. This blog is written by Rachel from New Jersey. Her blog started out as mostly a food and recipe blog but now has expanded to include all aspects of her life. There were a lot of recipes that caught my eye like her Gingerbread Coffee Syrup and Pineapple Chicken with Couscous. But, being a Buffalo girl, I decided that I wanted to give her Buffalo Chicken Burgers a try. At first I wasn't sure I'd be able to make them because I couldn't find any blue cheese made with pasteurized milk (raw cheese is currently on my can't eat list). But I finally found some at Aldi! What I especially liked about her burgers was that she used the correct hot sauce (gotta be Frank's) and blue cheese (I love ranch as much as the next person, but it doesn't belong on anything called "Buffalo") - so I knew these burgers would be winners! I was right. They were delicious and full of that Buffalo chicken wing flavor. 

I slightly modified April's recipe and my version is below. This recipe will make four burgers. I served them with celery sticks and oven fries. 


Buffalo chicken burgers
1 lb ground chicken
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
Frank's red hot sauce, to taste
crumbled blue cheese
mayonnaise, optional
lettuce, optional
4 kaiser (or hard rolls) split and toasted

In a large mixing bowl, mix the chicken, a couple pinches of salt, and couple grinds of black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and celery seed until combined. Form the chicken into 4 equal patties and season lightly with salt and pepper.

Grill the burgers until the chicken is cooked through, about 4-5 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and brush with the hot sauce. Place on the roll and top with blue cheese. Add mayo and lettuce, if using.


What was I cooking one year ago?: spicy tofu & pinto beans (Sofritas)
Two years ago?: chicken chop suey
Three years ago?: stir-fried squid & baby bok choy
Four?: carrot cake pancakes
Five?: Brazilian shrimp stew
6?: shepherd's pie


26 comments:

  1. Such a hearty meal with full of flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound delicious, filling and hearty. Wonderful SRC post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fantastic burger! Love the flavour, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for your kind words! i'm glad you liked these burgers and now you have me wanting them...haven't made them in ages! also your photos are beautiful :) and lastly...blue cheese 4E!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! This looks really good. I have ground turkey thawing for burgers tonight but I might need to make the buffalo style! Great SRC recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good. I love buffalo flavored anything! Great SRC recipe

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun and creative way to make Buffalo wings into a full meal. Great choice of SRC recipe! I have a feeling these will be showing up on my table soon LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks like a great burger! it was fun to have your blog this month, amy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amy, my husband is from New Jersey and I know he would love these burgers. I love that they are made with chicken. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Amy, my husband is from New Jersey and I know he would love these burgers. I love that they are made with chicken. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must try making chicken burgers. They sound delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My son wants me to make these burgers, he was drooling all over my laptop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love making burgers with other types of meat besides beef. These sound gourmet with the addition of blue cheese. Yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love making burgers with other types of meat besides beef. These sound gourmet with the addition of blue cheese. Yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! I love this non-traditional burger! Would be great for cookouts this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We grill so many hamburgers in the summer that these would be a delicious change of pace!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy! It looks very delicious! A great breakfast on Monday!^^

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love seeing someone else using Keiser rolls for hamburger buns. They're the best! Frank's hot sauce makes the burger a true winner!Great looking burgers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! this buffalo chicken burger looks so intriguing, Cheri. I know my family would love this, too! Thanks for this traditional recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! this buffalo chicken burger looks so intriguing, Amy. I know my family would love this, too! Thanks for this traditional recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks like a great plate of food! I am curious about chicken burgers...can't remember the last time I had one. The buffalo chicken twist is sure to be a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love Buffalo wings, but they're such a pain to eat (so messy). This burger is the perfect solution! All the flavor, none of the mess. Really nice -- thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow! This sounds like something my family would like. We like buffalo wings

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks incredibly delicious Amy! I haven't had any spicy food in a while and this is calling my name! I'm bad - I LOVE ranch with mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE anything buffalo chicken. My favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've never eaten buffalo chicken, but this recipe sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!