Monday, April 25, 2016

Cheesy spaghetti squash


Say what? I'm making and posting a winter squash recipe in April?! Well, yes, yes I am.... We still have a few lingering in basement storage that we are finishing up before it becomes summer squash season. So while it may be a little out-of-season right now, just save this spaghetti squash recipe for this coming fall/winter. It's one you will definitely want to give a try! It's cheesy, with hints of onion and garlic flavor. It's like a mac n' cheese, but with spaghetti squash instead of noodles.

We ate this as a side dish to a grilled ham steak with a honey-mustard sauce. Speaking of grilling, I am super excited that the warmer weather is coming and also that when we moved into our new house that the previous owners left us their grill! We've already been using it and loving it. I made this recipe with a smaller spaghetti squash and it would make a side dish for about 3-4 people. 


Cheesy spaghetti squash
1 small spaghetti squash
1-1/2 cups milk (I used 2%)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
dash of cayenne pepper
2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese, divided
1 tablespoon minced chives, plus more for garnish 

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Halve the spaghetti squash length-wise and remove the seeds. Place cut side up in a baking dish and bake until fork-tender, about 45-60 minutes. Let cool until you can hold the squash.

When the squash is almost finished, start the cheese sauce. In a small saucepan, whisk together the milk and flour. Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne. Heat over medium heat, continuing to whisk until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the chives and slowly whisk in 1-1/2 cups of cheddar.

Use a fork to pull out the spaghetti squash strands and separate them into a large bowl. You want about 3 cups of squash, lightly packed. Be careful to not poke through the skin. Stir the cheese sauce. Scoop the mixture back into the spaghetti squash skins (in the baking dish) and divide the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top. 

Bake for 15 minutes and then broil until the top is golden and bubbly. Garnish with extra chives.



What was I cooking one year ago?: smoked white fish chowder
Two years ago?: Southwest black bean & quinoa patties with avocado sour cream
Three years ago?: Pad (Pat) Thai
Four?: coconut chocolate chip banana bread
Five?: spaghetti w/ fennel, arugula, artichokes, & olives
6?: egg tart w/ ramps & wild mushrooms

13 comments:

  1. This looks so cheesy and delicious! They are still selling spaghetti squash at my local grocery store, so I can give this a try. I'm excited for summer and grilling season too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great! we grilled out for the first time yesterday...so fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take a winter squash anytime of the year! Looks cheesy & delicious! Hope you're feeling wonderful, Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Amy, this looks so good...I love spaghetti squash...and the idea of cheesy is just fantastic!
    Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All this cheese heaven cannot possibly left me uninterested! What a delicious treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm feeling quite guilty about the spaghetti squash sitting in my garage right now in the wood bin. My mom tossed me 4 of them a month ago and I only managed to use one. So spaghetti squash slacker right here. And I know she's going to ask if I use them so I better get a move on. Think I'll get myself some Yancy's Fancy today and really splurge on this one =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We mainly eat spaghetti squash in the fall and winter, but it's readily available throughout the year. No excuse not to have it for Memorial Day! Anyway, this looks terrific -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love spaghetti squash and love cheese so together the two must be great! Congrats on the new house and grill!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks delicious! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! I love anything cheesy!! This looks superb!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks so DELICIOUS! I would make this one immediately if I could find one now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never been very successful with spaghetti squash, but after seeing this and going through the recipe, I think I need to give it another try. What cheesy goodness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so good, great idea for using the spaghetti squash!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!