Monday, May 16, 2016

Sweet potato pork quesadillas {Secret Recipe Club}


I was super excited to have my food blogger friend Sarah's blog this month for the Secret Recipe Club. And it just so happens that she had mine last month! I've been following her blog The Pajama Chef for a few years now and always enjoy reading it. Sarah lives in Nashville with her husband, kitties, and a new adorable baby I just saw on Instagram. While browsing through Sarah's recipes I saw many that I wanted to try (mango coconut granola, rhubarb muffins, and crock pot honey sesame chicken, just to name a few) some that I've tried in the past like these amazing Apple Fritters. I ended up choosing these Sweet Potato Pork Quesadillas for a Cinco de Mayo meal.

I loved the combination of sweet and spicy and my husband gave these a big thumbs up! Pregnancy has made me want spicy food more often lately - and has given me the ability to tolerate and enjoy higher levels of heat than normally. So, I piled on the pickled jalapenos on mine. Below is my slightly modified version of the recipe. This recipe made 4 quesadillas, and will serve about two people for a main dish.


Sweet potato pork quesadillas
1 medium sweet potato
1/2 lb. ground pork
1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
4 burrito-sized flour tortillas
2 cups grated cheese (I used pepper jack)
sour cream, for serving
pickled jalapenos, for serving

Prick the sweet potato with a fork and microwave until soft, about 8-10 minutes (alternatively, you can bake it in the oven for about 45 minutes, which I did because we don't have a microwave). When soft, let cool for a few minutes. Remove the skin, place the flesh into a medium bowl, and mash with a fork.

Heat a skillet over medium heat and then add the pork. Cook, breaking apart with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink. Drain the fat and return the pork to the pan. Add the chili powder, a pinch of salt, a couple grinds of black pepper, garlic, and green onions. Cook until the green onion are softened. Stir in the sweet potato until warmed and then remove from the heat. Stir in the cilantro.

Heat large dry skillet (cast-iron or non-stick), or the flat side of a griddle pan over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the skillet and add 1/4 of the cheese and 1/4 of the sweet potato pork mixture on half of the tortilla. Fold the other half over. When browned, flip and brown the other side. Continue with the remaining tortillas.

Cut each into four wedges and serve with sour cream and pickled jalapenos.


What was I cooking one year ago?: baked cinnamon-orange French toast
Two years ago?: German egg pancakes
Three years ago?: cold German potato salad
Four?: Mexican brownies
Five?: spinach, strawberry, & feta salad
6?: roasted asparagus & goat cheese salad w/ honey-balsamic vinaigrette

17 comments:

  1. I have never made quesadilla with sweet potato and I really adore the idea. They look super delicious too, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quesadillas look absolutely great, I am drooling here, I love sweet potatoes and the combination with the ground pork sounds sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love sweet potatoes and my husband loves pork, so these are the perfect quesadillas for us!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quesadillas are the best! We actually had some for dinner last night. They are so versatile and I love the combination of pork and sweet potatoes here - sounds awesome :) Happy reveal day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious! I love the combination of pork and sweet potatoes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such amazing flavors for a quesadilla! It would be a great way to get my son to eat sweet potato. Awesome pick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had a similar quesadilla but it was black beans and sweet potatoes. I bet this one is much better because of the pork. Great SRC recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh these look amaaazing! You're so lucky you can eat spicy food while pregnant - I craved it but the slightest bit of chili gave me raging heartburn. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun combo of flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not sure where my comment went! This is such a fun and simple recipe! You will need this when those babes arrive. When mine were babies I'll never forget that it once took me 4 hours to make pizza and I wasn't even making the dough!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing quesadilla combination! These look insanely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saw your post on Abbe's google+ stream. Truly agree with all the comments above, this is such a wonderful, simple and fun recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love sweet potatoes! Never had them in a quesadilla though -- genius idea! I SO much love this recipe -- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look so delicious Amy! Love the combo of sweet potato and spicy pork! Congratulations - I'm so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am the biggest fan of sweet potatoes and this one with pork in a quesadilla sounds divine! I gotta try that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yum! This looks amazing! I'm not sure how much self control I'd have

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love putting sweet potato in quesadillas.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!