Monday, June 27, 2016

Lemon-glazed strawberry poppy seed bread


Strawberries are easily one of my favorite fruits. One of my biggest cravings during pregnancy has been fruit. Just the smell of it makes me drool lately haha. Now that we are getting into full-on summer fruit season, I can't get enough fresh fruits - strawberries, melons, cherries, peaches, etc. They are all coming into season locally and that makes me happy! We found ourselves with a lot of strawberries recently. While I love to eat them with cottage cheese, yogurt, on their own, or in a shortcake, I also love to try out different recipes with them. I know my posts have been lacking during pregnancy. So I was inspired to make something with all these fresh berries that was easy, quick and delicious - which is how this quick bread came to be. This bread is very moist and flavorful. It's perfect for breakfast, dessert, or a snack and is a great way to use up some super ripe strawberries. 



Lemon-glazed strawberry poppy seed bread
2 cups, plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 large egg
1/3 cup olive (or canola, coconut) oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1-1/2 cups finely shopped fresh strawberries

for the glaze:
1/4 cup powdered sugar
about 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice  

Lightly grease a 9x5" loaf pan. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, whisk together the 2 cups of flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk through light brown sugar. Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined. Toss the strawberries with the remaining 1 tablespoon of flour in a small bowl (to help prevent sinking in the bread). Fold in the poppy seeds and strawberries.

Pour into the loaf pan and bake for about 55-65 minutes, or until golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Let the bread cool. Remove from the loaf pan.

Add the powdered sugar to a small bowl and stir in the lemon juice, about 1/2 teaspoon at a time, until it reaches the consistency for drizzling. Drizzle on top of the cooled bread and let harden.

Slice to serve. The bread will be very moist, so store any leftovers in the refrigerator.


What was I cooking one year ago?: fresh strawberry pie
Two years ago?: stovetop kettle corn
Three years ago?: seared scallops over pearled couscous w/ peas & garlic scape sauce
Four?: farfelle w/ summer squash & garlic scape pesto
Five?: five bean salad
6?: lemon-ricotta pancakes w/ berry sauce

12 comments:

  1. I love poppy bread, but usually have it combined with citrus. This is a creative combination with strawberries and it looks superb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I'm turning into a strawberry soon with the amount I've been eating! I don't bake with it nearly enough and a bread sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to bake strawberries in a bread, I bet this is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the look of this strawberry bread. When I was pregnant I probably would have eaten it all! I've actually never made a strawberry bread, but this is so gorgeous I just might have to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love poppy seeds! When it comes to baked goods, I have them most often in cake and as a topping for a bagel or a bun, but really like the idea of this bread. Particularly with the strawberries! Inspired stuff -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! This bread looks so moist and absolutely delicious! I don't know if I've ever had strawberry bread. You sure have made a big sell to change that. This looks so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pictures of this bread are seriously making me drool! I have some fresh picked strawberries in the freezer that have been waiting for a recipe and I think this is it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Lemon-glazed strawberry poppy seed bread looks absolutely amazing! I'd love to bake it - but I can't seem to keep strawberries in my house - nothing disappears quicker! Hope you're well :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bread looks amazing and I don't have to be pregnant to crave some right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That lemon glaze is AWESOME. Poppy seeds and strawberry in a bread sounds so fancy. I bet it tasted ah-mazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i don't have very good luck using strawberries in baked goods, but this looks gorgeous! the glaze is the perfect touch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh this looks SO good Amy! Pinned it to my bread board :) Thanks for linking up to the Friday Frenzy!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!