Monday, June 20, 2016

Rocky road brownies {Secret Recipe Club}


It's that time again - time for this month's Secret Recipe Club! This month I was assigned Dessert Before Dinner which I was excited about because this was a new blog for me. This blog is written by Stephanie who sounds like someone I would get a long with well.... we both like a lot of the same things aside from food blogging like craft beers, kittens, sci-fi shows, and more. After looking through her recipes, I decided on making these Rocky Road Brownies. Call it the chocolate cravings of a pregnant lady, but I kept coming back to them. If I had felt more ambitious and hadn't been neglectful to my sourdough starter recently, I would have loved to have tried some of her sourdough creations (especially the doughnuts and the bread pudding). I will remember these for the future!

I'm glad with my choice of these brownies. They were chewy, fudgy, and just sweet enough. Plus the melted, sticky, golden marshmallows on top added something special. Below is my slightly modified recipe. 




Rocky road brownies
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
1/3 cup cocoa powder
4 oz dark chocolate (I used a 70% cocao bar)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
pinch of salt
1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
1/2 cup mini marshmallows, plus 1/3 cup

Lightly butter an 8x8" baking pan. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a double boiler or medium saucepan, melt together the butter, cocoa powder, and dark chocolate until smooth. Let cool slightly and whisk in the sugar, flour, eggs, and salt.

Fold in the walnuts and 1/2 cup of the marshmallows. Pour the batter into the baking pan and spread evenly.

Bake for 20 minutes. Then top the brownies with the remaining 1/3 cup of marshmallows and bake for another 10-12 minutes, until the edges are set.

Remove from the oven and let cool completely before slicing.



What was I cooking one year ago?: garlic scape & olive oil cheese pizza
Two years ago?: rhubarb custard pie
Three years ago?: hot & sour rhubarb pork & noodles
Four?: spiced lamb & pistachio kofta wraps
Five?: five bean salad
6?: ricotta cheese


13 comments:

  1. Chewy and fudgy...that sounds just the perfect brownie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words on this recipe. I'm glad you liked the brownies and I do encourage you to try the sourdough doughnuts. They are delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many brownies this week!! YUM. They look delish! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious! great SRC choice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the marshmallows on top! Such a delicious brownie variation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never used marshmallows in baking, but I can really imagine how delicious that would be, I suppose the consistency is quite special as well. I have to try this, I don't think I can find mini marshmallows, but I could chop the normal sized ones...

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look so good. I've been craving brownies going through yesterday's reveal. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - yeah it was the month of brownies!

      Delete
  8. These look too tempting... I am really tempted to make them soon, though may have to replace the eggs and the butter... Lovely choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That marshmallow topping though. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very decadent! And very good -- this is right up my alley. You've outdone yourself -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!