Monday, July 18, 2016

Pink grapefruit pie {Secret Recipe Club}


It's time for July's Secret Recipe Club reveal. This month I was assigned the blog Sew You Think You Can Cook written by Lauren. Lauren lives way over near LA on the other side of the country from me! I was glad to be able to peruse her blog as it was another new one for me and I love to check out new food blogs. She has tons of terrific recipes. I was looking for a quick and easy dessert to make for a small picnic we had on the July 4th holiday weekend. I was originally going to make her Pink Lemonade Cupcakes because they sounded perfect for a summer treat. However, once I saw her Grandpa Ray's Grapefruit Pie, I changed my mind. I think regular readers know my deep love of pie (I mean, I made 15 of them just last year). Plus this recipe looked so simple and would allow me to not be on my feet for too long (after this month, I'll be taking a maternity leave from Secret Recipe Club, but I hope to be back in October). 

This pie was completely unique and different from any pie I've ever tasted before. I happen to love grapefruit, but my husband is not a big fan. However, he still enjoyed this pie. Everyone commented on how they couldn't quite put their finger on the main ingredient, but knew it was something citrus. Plus, while I usually make homemade crusts and homemade whipped creams, this pie I used the store-bought shortcuts like in the recipe, which was terrific for me since my ankles have been the size of grapefruits lately! 


Pink grapefruit pie
1 graham cracker crust
2-3 medium pink grapefruit
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 tub of cool whip (I used whipped cream)

Slice the grapefruit into about 1/2-inch slices (start with 2 grapefruits). Set-up a strainer with a bowl underneath. Holding the grapefruit over the strainer, pull the meat away from the skin and membranes. Place the meat in the strainer. You want to end up with about 1 cup of grapefruit meat in chunks about the size of corn kernels. (The juice in the bowl is yours to drink.)

In another bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and condensed milk. The gently stir in the grapefruit meat. Pour into the crust. Top with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Top with the cool whip/whipped cream before serving. Serve cold.


What was I cooking one year ago?: zucchini garlic alfredo pizza
Two years ago?: cherry cheesecake ice cream
Three?: jerk pork w/ mango-avocado salsa
Four?: zucchini-corn fritters
Five?: currant & ginger scones
6?: stuffed clams
 

13 comments:

  1. The perfect pie for summer! Enjoy your maternity leave and we'll see you when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful, refreshing pie for summer! I love that your guests were not able to identify the main ingredient, that is so fun! My husband loves grapefruit and this would be a great way to give him another way to enjoy them. Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of grapefruit in a pie, it sounds very refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a unique summer pie! Sounds so refreshing and I love that grapefruit slice on top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 15 pies in a year? That is seriously wow... I love pies but am so lazy to make them, hehe... Grapefruit in a pie sounds really interesting... looks delicious... enjoy your maternity leave... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How interesting! I have never had a pie made with grapefruit. It surely looks very delicious and tempting, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love an easy dessert like this and I love grapefruit too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the only way i can eat grapefruit is to smother it in sugar, so a pie might be a good option for me! very unique!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've ever had grapefruit pie before. But, pie, so it must be wonderful, right? :-) Sounds really good -- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grapefruit pie is new to me, but I love lemon pie, so why not! I'd love to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really don't use grapefruit enough! This is such a unique flavor for a pie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could have sworn I commented on your post, but clearly not because I definitely would have congratulated you on your upcoming family addition! I like that you used whipped cream instead of the cool whip, I bet I'd like it better that way - though my brother would completely disown me. My mom never tells people what it is until they've tasted it. I'm glad it was a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm posting as Tom but it's really Laura. I love this grapefruit pie, what a great idea! I'll have to try.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!