Monday, October 17, 2016

Chocolate beetroot cake {Secret Recipe Club}


It's time for October's Secret Recipe Club reveal! This month I was assigned to make a recipe from My Wholefood Family. This blog is written by Susan who lives all the way over in Australia. She is a mom of three and focuses on creating recipes from real, whole foods. I found a lot of interesting and tasty recipes on her blog like these Sweet Potato Brownies and Sesame Chicken with Ginger Rice (the rice sounds fantastic). I ended up choosing her Chocolate Beetroot Cake because it sounded so intriguing and also because I thought the mixture of the dark chocolate color with flecks of red would be a fun treat for Halloween time. I adjusted the recipe slightly for my more American way of measuring (though I did measure out my chocolate in grams!) and cooking and I also used regular flour and sugar in my version. You can see Susan's original recipe at the link. I used Susan's suggestion of also replacing a bit of the flour with cocoa powder and was really happy with the results. This cake is very chocolaty but also has the very earthy taste from the beets. It's a unique cake that I'd make again in the future. 


Chocolate beetroot cake
1 stick unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
80 grams dark chocolate (I used 70% cocao) 
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 cup sugar
pinch of salt
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 packed cup grated beets (about 2 medium beets)

In a medium saucepan heat the butter and chocolate together over medium heat until melted. Set aside to cool.

Lightly grease a loaf pan and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour through salt. Stir in the eggs and butter-chocolate mixture and then fold in the beets.

Pour into the loaf pan and bake for about 45-55 minutes, until the top is springy and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Let cool and then remove from the pan and slice to serve. Store in an airtight container.


What was I cooking one year ago?: pawpaw cream tart
Two years ago?: honey-sesame cashews
Three years ago?: apple & pork macaroni & cheese
Four?: apple-turkey burgers w/ cranberry-apple relish
Five?: apple crumb tart
6?: pear, blue cheese, & arugula stuffed chicken


18 comments:

  1. I always love the use of beetroot in chocolate cake...yours looks really tender and moist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some beets to use up and they might go into this cake instead of pickling them. Great SRC recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i once made a red velvet cake with beets in it...i'd definitely try this recipe out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you added beets. So many cake recipes for this month's SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been meaning to make a cake with beetroot like forever but never got to it. Yours looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beet cake. I haven't seen one of those in years. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amy, I love adding veggies to baked goods, this cake looks amazing. I bet it is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of using grated beets in the cake and know I would love it too! My husband and I both love beets - I can't wait to surprise him with this treat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally love how beetroot can make your cake really moist! Lovely selection...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have seen many recipe using beetroot in chocolate cake, but have never tried baking...it sure looks good Amy. I love the color of it!
    Have a wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The earthy addition from the beets sounds wonderful. Such a great combination. Will definitely need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beets and chocolate sound a bit odd, but I've had the combo and it's wonderful! This cake looks seriously amazing -- really wonderful flavors. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. one of the few foods i absolutely don't like is beets! this looks awfully moist and decadent though...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've seen chocolate cakes with beets but have never made them. Looks like I maight have to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've made a version of red velvet cupcakes before that were tinted only by beets. I love the look of this cake with the beet flecks! Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never tried a cake with beetroot in it, but I'm all for adding fruits and veggies to a dessert, to make it healthier. Looks moist and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love beets and am always looking for new recipes that include beets. This one is a keeper for sure. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!