Monday, October 31, 2016

Vinegar-braised cabbage with caraway {Secret Recipe Club}


This month the Secret Recipe Club is having a special Fall Dishes reveal! While pumpkin and apple are generally thought of as the ultimate fall stars (and of course I love them both as you can tell from a quick browse through my blog), I also love to highlight autumn vegetables like other winter squashes, root vegetables, and Brassicas like cabbage. I really enjoy harvest time and all of the terrific vegetables that come out of gardens in September-October in our region. I happen to really love red cabbage in particular. I think it's so pretty and it adds such a colorful punch to any meal. When I saw this recipe on Dessert Before Dinner's blog, I knew this was one I wanted to try. I have another sweet and sour red cabbage recipe that is my go-to, but I really liked the use of caraway as well as onions and garlic in Stephanie's recipe. We had this dish when my mom was over for dinner and we all enjoyed it a lot. We served it along with some German brats, pierogi, and applesauce. It was a perfect fall meal! Below is my slightly modified recipe.

I have previously had Stephanie's blog for Secret Recipe Club and said if I ever had her blog again I was going to make some of her sourdough recipes. However, during the move and my difficult pregnancy, my sourdough started died.... So I have to start a new one soon to try out these doughnuts! They also would be a great fall recipe with a glass of apple cider. 


Vinegar-braised cabbage with caraway
2 tablespoons bacon grease, or other cooking fat of your choice
1 onion, diced
1 small head red cabbage, shredded
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons caraway seeds, plus more for garnish
3/4 cup water, divided
salt and pepper, to taste 
1 large apple, peeled, cored and cubed
about 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
about 1/2 cup honey
juice of one lemon

In a large stock/soup pot or Dutch oven, heat the fat over medium heat. Cook the onion until translucent. Add the cabbage, garlic, caraway seeds, and 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Season with salt and pepper. Add the apple, vinegar, honey, and remaining 1/4 cup of water. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender. 

Add the lemon juice and check for salt, pepper, vinegar, and honey flavors. Adjust if needed.

Serve hot and garnish with additional caraway seeds or chopped chives, if desired.


What was I cooking one year ago?: pumpkin spice caramel corn
Two years ago?: spooky chocolate chip spider cookies
Three years ago?: hot German potato salad
Four?: delicata squash & hazelnut shortbread bars
Five?: maple-glazed pumpkin cake
6?: chili w/ pumpkin & black beans

17 comments:

  1. I would love this served up with pork chops for dinner one nigh this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of adding garlic. I have my tried and true, Mom's recipe for Red Cabbage, and I think garlic might just make its way in there the next time I make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try this version of red cabbage…I've never had one prepared with honey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love red cabbage too...this sounds tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to try this...and the color is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's lots of caraway seeds..gorgeous flavour and colour, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love red cabbage - and any recipe that starts with bacon grease has to be good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love red cabbage but usually never eat it cooked. I'll have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love sweet and sour recipes, and you went and combined it with another favorite of mine, fried cabbage. This would go so well with some friend pork chops!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy you enjoyed this recipe. I'm actually making a pork roast for dinner this weekend and bought all the things to make this recipe to accompany it. Thanks for the kind words in this SRC post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the color of this recipe. So pretty! Great pic this month. Traci, BurntApple.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I make a dish that's really similar to this. Somewhat different flavors, though. And often make it with regular cabbage -- but it looks so much better with red! Good stuff -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Autumn vegetables are often forgotten about so I'm so glad you shared this amazing recipe incorporating them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhhhhh....how did I miss this recipe!?! Glad I found it now :)
    This looks amazing! We're a big cabbage family - so I'm excited to try this...and soon!
    Hope you're well ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! This would be so good with brats- love the color! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!