Friday, December 30, 2016

A look back at 2016

This time of year, I usually do a post where both my husband and I look through my past year of blogging and we each choose our favorite recipe from each month. However, 2016 was not a typical year for me, or the blog. Between a high-risk pregnancy, extreme meat and onion aversions, all day "morning" sickness, and then newborn twins, cooking and eating weren't always high on my list. Well, after the morning sickness passed, eating was *really* high on my list. I was never so famished in my life as I was while pregnant with twins! Thanks to all of you for sticking with me through my sparse posts this year. It's been a wonderfully exciting year. The babies are now about 5 months old and tons of fun. I am hopeful that I'll be able to ramp up my posts again in 2017.

So this year we are both picking our "Top 6 of 2016" instead. These are our top picks, in no particular order, starting with me.

I have to kick off my picks with these cookies because not only were they super tasty, they were how we told our family that we were expecting a boy and a girl!


This meal is so many wonderful things all wrapped up in one warm and cozy autumn meal. Apple, turkey, cider gravy, vegetables, and light fluffy biscuits specked with sharp cheddar. Yum! You can bet this dish will appear on our table every fall at least once.

I love apples. I love fall. I love sour cream. I love pie. So, yeah, that pretty much covers it! This pie is apple about the apple flavor and totally worth giving a try when apple season rolls around again.

This was a recipe I made as part of the Secret Recipe Club. It's one that I've wanted to try for a long time and it was fantastic! I will be making this again - probably when the babies are older and eating with us because it makes a bunch.

These cookies are a life-long favorite of mine and the recipe comes from my great-grandmother. Of course these need to make the list. They are one of my favorite cookies ever and are a necessary cookie for our holiday celebrations.

Stuffed banana peppers are a staple in the Buffalo region. They are on every pub/bar and pizzeria menu in the area. We even take the flavors and make pizza and mac n' cheese with the flavors. So, I decided to take the flavors and make a thick and hearty soup. 

Now it's time for my husband's picks. He agreed with me on the (Un)stuffed banana pepper soup, the Thumbprint cookies, and the Chicken fried chicken. His picks that differed from mine are:

I almost picked this one, too. It takes some time to make, but it's totally worth it every once in a while. The crust is basically one big hot pretzel!

I was honestly surprised he picked this one! He's usually more of a pie person. I made this cake as part of the Secret Recipe Club and we both enjoyed it a lot.

We've eaten this several times now and it's always delicious! This is a great meal to make now that the holiday rush is over. 

I hope you all had a wonderful year and wish you all the best in 2017!!

7 comments:

  1. I wish you an amazing 2017 too, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, what an amazing 2016 - TWINS! Congratulations, I'm sorry that it took my five months to tell you that. All of these dishes look mouthwatering, but ohmygosh, that pretzel crust pizza and the chicken fried chicken with milk gravy look incredible! Happy new year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone saying good riddance to 2016 makes me a little sad because like you, this was the year we had our baby! So my blogging wasn't typical either but I'm hoping to improve in 2017! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. While different from most years, it certainly was a memorable one for your family. I'm looking forward to what you will share in the New Year…it will be delicious if it is like the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing 2016. Have a colorful new year 2017

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2016 had some wonderful things, but some really tough things, too. Really looking forward to a better 2017. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These all sound great, but not as great as twins. Wish I could turn back the clock! I think you have some great picks!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!