Monday, January 30, 2017

Peanut butter banana bread


I always buy my bananas green or as close to green as possible, because I like them when they just turn yellow, but before they get any brown on them. Once they have brown on them, they are basically inedible to me. Then they all become my husband's to eat. However, I picked up some bananas when grocery shopping in between Christmas and the New Year. They were green. And then the next couple days, they were still green and hard as rocks. Then a week later.... then two.... and then it just became a science experiment. We had these bananas for about 4 weeks before they went from green and hard to soft and brown. I never saw a nice yellow phase in there.... So then I was left with these over-ripe bananas and decided to make a new kind of banana bread. Specifically one that contained peanut butter, because peanut butter + banana is always a winning combination. This bread is delicious -- full of peanut buttery banana flavor. 


I found this recipe that I modified a bit for the below version. This recipe will make one loaf (8"x4" pan) of bread. It's terrific for breakfast slathered in some extra peanut butter, or all on its own for an afternoon snack with a hot cup of tea. 


Peanut butter banana bread
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups mashed very ripe banana (3-4 bananas)

Grease a loaf pan and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Whisk together the dry ingredients (flour through baking powder) in a medium bowl and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat together the peanut butter, butter, and sugars using a wooden spoon or an electric hand mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Slowly stir in the flour mixture until almost combined and then stir in the bananas until just combined.

Pour into the loaf pan and spread evenly. Bake for about 50-60 minutes, until the top is golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Let cool in the pan for about 15 minutes and then remove to a cutting board to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store leftovers in an airtight container.


What was I cooking one year ago?: banana chocolate chip cake
Two years ago?: simple garlic flatbread
Three years ago?: overnight yeasted waffles
Four?: coconut cream pie
Five?: brown sugar & ginger broiled grapefruit
Six?: sweet & sour acorn squash
7?: lemon pudding cake

14 comments:

  1. Peanut butter and banana are fabulous together. This quick bread is perfect for breakfast and afternoon snack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds delicious! my grandma's banana bread is phenomenal, and i normally don't even try other recipes anymore...but i am really considering this one! yeah peanut butter! :) btw i feel the same way about bananas as you do, haha. i like them with just a bit of green still. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. one of my favorite snacks is a banana slathered with peanut butter and rolled in chopped nuts. what a great twist on banana bread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband will love this as he always eat banana with peanut butter...the bread looks delicious Amy!
    Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peanut Butter in banana bread? Now that's a new one. Absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow - I've never had peanut butter banana bread! The two are wonderful on their own and I bet it's amazing together. PB adds so much lovely richness and moisture and fragrance to baked goods! I wish I could have a thick slice right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat recipe! We've made plenty of banana bread, and put peanut butter on it. But never in it! This is brilliant! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amy, so funny, I like my bananas the same way and I always buy them green. Love that you added peanut butter, I bet this is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peanut butter and bananas are one of the best combos ever. Love how delicious this tweaked bread has turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for linking to First Monday Favorites. And thanks for a great idea as well. Would never have thought of adding peanut butter to my banana bread.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peanut butter in bread sounds genius!! And with extra on top? Sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Peanut butter and banana is such a good combination! What a great idea to put them both in a bread!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think there may be a person in our house who could make this bread disappear in under five minutes. Sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always do the same with brown bananas - can't stand them when they've gone brown!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!