Monday, January 16, 2017

Raisin pie


We recently had a birthday celebration for my father-in-law and he requested a raisin pie for dessert. Hmmmmm.... raisin pie..... I had heard my husband's family mention raisin pie before, but it's not something I had ever seen or tried before. So, of course, I was intrigued. I searched the web for recipes and read a bunch and came up with this version. Turns out raisin pie is a classic favorite of many people! The raisins are all plump and juicy and the pie is very sweet. It has just a hint of cinnamon and a touch of fresh lemon juice to help with all the sweet raisin flavor. If you are a raisin fan, you should definitely give this old-fashioned dessert a try. This recipe will make one 9-inch pie.


Raisin pie
double recipe for your favorite pie crust (I use olive oil, or butter/lard)
2 cups seedless raisins
2 cups cold water
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 egg 

In a medium saucepan, whisk together the raisins through salt. Heat over medium heat and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook, stirring often, until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes.

Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon, and butter. Set aside.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Roll and fit the bottom pie crust to a 9-inch pie pan. Pour the raisin filling in and spread evenly. Top with the other pie crust. Crimp the edges together and remove excess overhang. Fit to the dish. 

Cut a few slits in the top of the pie. Beat the egg with a splash of water and brush it on the top of the crust.

Place the pie on a baking sheet in case of any bubbling over. Bake for about 35-35 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly.

Let cool before serving.


What was I cooking one year ago?: banana chocolate chip cake
Two years ago?: butternut squash mac n' cheese w/ hazelnut crumble
Three years ago?: cheesy chipotle chicken, corn, & potato chowder
Four?: Italian spaghetti squash bake
Five?: cheddar broccoli soup
Six?: skillet pasta puttanesca
7?: Thai sweet pumpkin

7 comments:

  1. This is something my husband will love too because he is a loyal fan of raisins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've always wanted to try this pie! glad to hear it's a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like something my FIL would have loved! Bill would probably go running for the hills if I made it for him, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love love raisin pie and yours looks delicious! I haven't had it in ages, but it wouldn't work for my family, esp. Bill. Your lucky FIL, bet he was so happy with this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy, I had a slice of raisin pie once at a pie social and loved it. How sweet of you to make it for your father-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i haven't seen this before, but i'm sure my grandma has! my feelings about raisins are mixed, but i'd certainly give this a shot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have never heard of raisin pie! Mincemeat pie which has raisin, but just raisin pie...no. It sure looks good and that crust is really flaky. A belated Happy Birthday to your FIL!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!